Thread: Homemade Barrel Evaporator

Threaded View

Default Homemade Barrel Evaporator

Hello all,

Relatively new to the maple game here. I was always familiar with how it was made, as a local state park has a Maple Syrup Festival and I'd hear stories of my great grandparents making it, so when I realized I had some sugar maples on my farm I decided to give it a go last year. Started out with about 10 taps and a turkey burner...that was a mistake. After spending about $120 in propane and ruining a few batches (was renovating my house at the same time, so couldn't keep a constant eye on it...especially being outside, in the freezing wind and dark. I ended up only getting about 24 oz, burning another 48 or so, and calling it quits. I just didn't have the time or money to put into it last year, but I was hooked.

So fast forward this year, still don't have a whole lot of money but looking forward to expanding a bit. Haven't tapped yet, but looking to add about 5 more to start out with. I picked up some steamer pans and a 55 gallon barrel and decided to go redneck with a homemade evaporator. Used the barrel stove kits from TSC and boy is this thing ugly, but hoping she does the job. Going to line the inside with fire brick, and instead of a tradition arch shape I cut some steel and stuck it in the back like a "ramp" that I'll try to either brick or lay some fire blanket over, then add a grate in the front to help with airflow.

It's certainly not pretty, and was more of a pain to make than I thought it'd be...but hopefully it does the job. I've yet to fire it up, wondering if I need to burn off all the paint before I add the sap?

IMG_5951.jpg

PS not sure why pic is upside down, it's not like that on my computer?
    Last edited by kmlibben; 02-06-2019 at 09:41 PM. Reason: postscript
    Perrysville, OH
    Approx. 15 Taps