+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boil my sap on shares?

Default Boil my sap on shares?

What would a reasonable division ratio of the end product syrup be, if my neighbor boiled my sap on his arch, and he has RO? He would provide firewood, filters, electricity, labor, etc, and I would provide my own sap and bottles. Would there have to be some adjustment based on the sugar content of my sap? Would appreciate if anyone has participated in such an arrangement. Thanks. john
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

Most around here do a 50/50 split.

My neighbor use to sell me the sap based on the number of gallons and sugar content. His price per gallon never adjusted for the current bulk price. Sometimes he did better and sometimes I did better. We had to keep a log of number of gallons and sugar content for each delivery. Kind of a pain. Now we do a 55/45 split based on the bulk price. He delivers the sap to the sugarhouse and at the end of the season gets 55% of the bulk check. Much easier and fairer.
    3x8 Algier Evaporator. 600 gph Lapierre RO. 10" Filter press. We buy sap.

That will depend on the local competition. I did sap on a 50/50 split for a year. Then I decided I needed a better way. I then came up with a sliding scale based on the sugar % of the sap. At 2% I get 60% of the syrup, as the sap sugar % rises I get less and the sap supplier gets more. I will not even take sap that is under 1.2%
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I do 25% regardless of sugar content, but I will not take sap under 1.5% depending on who it is I will tho. People around here say I am very generous that most only do a pint per gallon so I guess a quart per is good for my area.
    24x56 heavy timber post and beam sugar house. 2013 CDL 2.5x8 deluxe airtight raised flue 750 taps on vacuum. CDL reverse osmosis, Wes Fab 7" full bank press. Eastern Maine CDL sales rep.

I have done 50/50 before. Works out OK. Yea I would like 2% if possible.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

We get sap from a few guys and boil it on our evaporator. In the past we did a 50/50 split but will be changing this year to keep 60%. Our system is that we get their sap and give them back their cut in syrup already filtered and bottled, not cash. This way the bulk price doesn't matter and no one is exchanging money. It's all friends and everyone is small scale, basically making it for their families, so it works well for our setup.
    2015- 3x4 flat pan over brick "arch" outside
    2016- Same pan with homemade arch outside
    2017- 2x6 new to me evaporator setup outside
    2018- Same setup, started to build a shack
    2019- homemade single post 4x40 RO and finally in a sugar shack!
    We are improving little by little each year, part of the fun!

+ Reply to Thread