+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boxelder sap to syrup?

Default Boxelder sap to syrup?

My brother-in-law has tapped a dozen or so big boxelders down by his creek, and they were really flowing well during this post-polar vortex thaw. He's been boiling down about 20 gallons of sap in a big stainless pot on the kitchen stove and keeps adding more as he harvests. There is no typical maple fragrance or color, it seems to be a clear/cloudy liquid with egg white fluff floating on the surface. (more fluff than you usually get from maple sap). We're not sure what to expect from a final product. Any experience with boxelder sap/syrup would be appreciated.
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

For the first 3 years I made syrup I used Boxelder trees. A few things I learned. It takes a lot of Sap! It was usually about 80-100 saloons to make 1 gallon of syrup. The syrup was very dark and sweet. It had a different flavor. Not like syrup made from sugar maples. It was not a flavor that tasted like what you smell when you snap a boxelder branch. It is a unique flavor that our family enjoyed. With a lower sugar content I would expect the sap to not have a super sweet flavor. Due to the volume of sap I would highly recommend not cooking in the house unless you have a very good exhaust system or do not like the wallpaper.
    Good luck

Back when my kids were young (the oldest is now 50) we made syrup for family use. We put in 7-9 taps, 3 were in sugar maples and the rest were in Box Elders. It made good syrup. I can't tell you what the sugar % was, we just boiled until it was good density syrup. Did not even have a hydrometer, we just boiled it to 219-220.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Red face Boxelder sap to syrup?

Last year was my first making syrup and I had two sugar maples (in my yard) and four boxelder (in the woods). I made syrup from both, but I kept them separate. The sugar maple syrup was classically delicious, wonderful on pancakes, etc. The boxelder had a different flavor, I would say more citrus/molasses flavor. Very different. I didn't like it at first, but started to use it on oatmeal and really liked it for that purpose. I think it would be a great ingredient for bbq sauce as well.

When we made it, the sap was not kept separate, just blended and the final taste was like sugar maple only syrup, with a little reddish hue to the color.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I tap a few boxelders and keep it separate. I've noticed the earlier season sap stays very light and usually has a flavor a bit like tart blackberries. I've also had very buttery/marshmallow flavored box elder syrup early in the year. Mid-season it will get very similar to maple and then near the end get very molasses-like in flavor. I use the late stuff for making BBQ sauces and it excels at it!

One of my coworkers goes nuts for the early boxelder syrup. It really is neat stuff.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

My first try was the box elder in the back yard. I used a piece of copper pipe for a tap and gave it hell. I was 15 and had never even had or seen maple syrup made but herd some old guys talking about it so I had to try it. I ended up with a quart of supper light syrup that was super sweet with a honey flavor but no maple flavor.
    It would be great sap to add to walnut or birch .
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

My brother taps Boxelder trees, seems they are plentiful by him while maple trees are elusive. For him, it's about 60:1 sap-syrup ratio, much higher than I get for tapping my maple trees.

I usually help him finish the syrup as I have a cup and hydrometer. I think Boxelder sap needs to be watched more closely and the temp needs to be adjusted a lot when it's getting closer to syrup. It bubbles up way more than what I see when I am finishing my maple sap. That said, his syrup is fairly dark with a red tinge to it. Has Molasses undertones to it. I like it. It also filters beautifully, flows way more easily thru my orlon filters and filters clear. My **** maple syrup is a pain to filter, very fine sugar sand, so I've taken to finishing my syrup and storing in my fridge while i let it gravity "filter" then i pour off the clear syrup reheat and can.

+ Reply to Thread