+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sap is running

Quote Originally Posted by Lilshot View Post
    Just pulled the pan off the arch. Almost syrup at 216f. Had three pre filters had to pull 2 and barely got the remainder through the third. Brown funky mess! Darkest so far this year. Should make 4.75 gallons syrup if I did the math right. Hope it does and we will hit our season goal of 50 gallons syrup with the next cook. Had the arch cooking hard when we pulled the pan, my kids were thrilled to have a hotdog roast and s’mores. Redneck livin at it’s finest.
    No buddy flavors yet for you Lilshot?

It a perfect temperature forecast the next few days for a great run, but I made a small batch of syrup from sap that ran a little sunday, and it has that lingering tootsie-roll flavor to it that spells buddy to me. A little bummed because I was getting a second wind to process the run this week. It's not offensive yet, but it's not good maple syrup anymore. If there is a secondary market for it, I may decide to boil this week for the extra cash...
    The season was just earlier this year here, but it was a good one at least!

Make some granulated sugar out of that late syrup and it will transfer flavor into whatever your making with it maybe. I'm new to granualting, but I had about a half gallon like that at the end and it made great sugar. I think the high heat drives off some of the off flavor.
    100 -110 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123