+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sap is running

Default Sap is running

Tapped 60 on bags yesterday and 34 on 3/16 tube today. Temps got up to 60F today and bags don’t need to be emptied yet. The tubing ran 15 gal before dark on natural vac. One line is 26 1\2 “ and the other is 25”. First year with tubing and I am sold. Expect 55 gal drum to be overflowing by morning. Awesome. Located in Preston county WV. Any other WV folk out there ready for this warm spelll?

tapped 140 yesterday and this morning in preston county. great flow so far, hope it runs through the night. reconfigured some of the lines to try to increase natural vaccum and it seems to be working.

I added about 80 taps yesterday and today. Real good flow this afternoon. Every hole i drilled was dripping immediately. Hope it runs through tonight. I've got some sap in "RO" now. Cooking soon. I've got 196 taps in now.

Mdlinemaple how are handling your sap. RO or big evap? Home built ro here going to be maxed out with the taps we have this year. Figure I can process 120 gal sap in a 24 hr period. Aquatec and 4 residential membranes. Help me get past this! 2x4 flat pan ro to to 7% process this? We are looking to expand but not sure if better evap or ro is the way to go

bought a ray gingerich/deer run hobbysize RO last year. draws out about 1.3 gals of water per minute. We get it down to 10% and then boil on a cinderblock firepit that does 4 gals/hour. Ive never used a “real” evaporator. The RO has been a gamechanger.

The run we just got was a monster. Hasnt been below freezing since Saturday and the sap is still pumping. Running the 3/16 all the way down our hill and adding more taps per line has made a huge improvement.

I also tapped half my trees on Saturday. Still getting some lines ready on the other half. Good runs all this past week
    2018: 684 taps: 525-3/16" Gr.,159-3/16" Hybrid; Mountain Maple Super Sap Sucker, CDL 600 RO - 131 gal.; retired from WVU in May
    2017: 439 Taps - 3/16" Gravity, Goulds 18GBS15, CDL 2X6 Drop Flue, Wes Fab 7" SB Filter Press, Smokey Lake WJ Bottler - 90 gal.
    2016: 258 Taps - 3/16" Gravity, Honda WX15, NGMP 2X6 Flat Pan, Deer Run 125 RO - 68 gal.
    2015: 20 Taps - Jugs, Turkey Fryer and 2-Burner Stove - 2.5 gal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilshot View Post
    Tapped 60 on bags yesterday and 34 on 3/16 tube today. Temps got up to 60F today and bags don’t need to be emptied yet. The tubing ran 15 gal before dark on natural vac. One line is 26 1\2 “ and the other is 25”. First year with tubing and I am sold. Expect 55 gal drum to be overflowing by morning. Awesome. Located in Preston county WV. Any other WV folk out there ready for this warm spelll?
    I would beg to differ. If its 60 F, any sap in the bags or barrels needs to be gathered and made into syrup or stored in the shade or cooler zone. Best to make into syrup if possible.
    Leaving the sap in those temps is similar to leaving your milk set out on the counter all day.
    Hope you have a good season down there! We have freezing temps again here today.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

An RO is a big game changer I am still boiling on a 2x4 and have 250 taps in on 3/16 and have been keeping up .built it 2yrs ago and now after changing all the tubing to 3/16 its either another post on the RO or a bigger evap

Tapped 80 on buckets on Feb 10th, and 135 on 3/16 on the 17th. Last week it ran like a river almost every day! lost count but well over a 1000 gallons so far collected. Sometimes the buckets are overflowing before I get to them. Glad to see cold enough temps for a few days to be take a break and catch up! Wish I had a vac gauge because Im getting crazy flow rates on the 3/16 with the steep hills and some have 30 taps on them. I have 3 runs with 85 taps that will fill up a 275 gallon tote in 24hrs!?!?!

forecast for canaan valley / davis area the rest of the week looks like another advertisement for maple syrup! Wish I was skiing this time of year, but....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast