+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I don't see it yet

Default I don't see it yet

If the extended forecast is even close I do not see much sap flow potential until March. There are a few days, yes, but the overall trend is too cold. At this time, for me in central NY will not tap until early March. This will then be one of my latest tapping dates ever, however I will keep an eye on the extended forecast to see when it changes more to maple weather.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I agree with you for the northern reaches of sugar country. The days in February are still short and a high temperature is only for 2 or 3 hours at most. Even in March it takes 3-4 days before they get going it seems, at least around here. Hoping I don’t have to tap until the first week of March.

I'm in your boat
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

The temps look good for next week but going back into the deep freeze after that. I'm going to wait until next weekend to see what it looks like then.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

We tapped a bunch today figuring its best to be ready for early runs. The woodchuck says it was the right choice...
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

Don’t have the strength for sugar making right now,hope it holds off until March. Wife and I have both been sick with pneumonia for about two weeks now,can’t hardly crawl out of bed,just getting back to eating now,a soda cracker a day for a week just doesn’t do much for energy
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    We tapped a bunch today figuring its best to be ready for early runs. The woodchuck says it was the right choice...
    The woodchuck...............is a woodchuck lol
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Who should you believe, the woodchuck or the extended forecast? The woodchuck would have seen it's shadow here yesterday if it had been dumb enough to come out of hibernation. The extended forecast looks good for this week and then back into the deep freeze for 10 days. Knowing what extended forecast really are and that things can and do change hourly I wouldn't put too much faith in that either. I'm planning to tap next weekend regardless.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    Who should you believe, the woodchuck or the extended forecast? .....The extended forecast looks good for this week and then back into the deep freeze for 10 days. Knowing what extended forecast really are and that things can and do change hourly I wouldn't put too much faith in that either. I'm planning to tap next weekend regardless.
    I was thinking the same thing. I see people looking at the forecast for 1 or 2 months out and making decisions based on that, or chasing 2 to 3 day warm spells...and I just don't get it.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

I don't put any faith in myths and little in forecast (long term). I do watch trends and a seasonal trend usually holds true. As example, this year I just tapped my main woods a few days ago. This is at least a week later than normal for me. I put my fall taps out late too and they were still duds. I used to see the same thing before i retired. Weather dictated what we done when. Soon as we'd get a warm spell I'd get calls from the big boys to gear up and I would tell them to pull their panties back up, it aint time to crap yet. Everything would happen within a 10-14 day period every year. That was about the limit of change. Most years it was 3-5 days variance. I am tapped here in southern Ohio, but I was about 5 days later than my traditional dates. My first real boil of the season will be today. I'll be done by March 10th or sooner.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread