+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tapping twice on the same tree

Thank you for the advice. This will be my third season. I am learning as I go. I have about 25 maple trees on the property here on the water in SE Massachusetts. Due to being on the water spring comes fast so I have been tapping in February the past 2 seasons. I get 5 gallons of sap per week per tap when it is running. I generally tap 15 trees and then tap the rest after a week or 2 to extend the season. Everything stops here before st pats day. But that could be happening just because I tap so early. I am not really sure. Some of my trees are 6 feet circumference so I tap those 2 times but I have generally done that on the same day. I was considering separating the 2 taps in those big trees by 2 weeks.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    Dr. Tim says it doesn't matter significantly which side you tap
    Over time that tends to be the case if you look at the overall averages. In any one year, the south side might be better or the north side might be better. It all depends on how the year plays out. In a cold year, the south side might be best. In a hot year the north side might run better. If you can predict whether it's going to be a hot or cold season when you tap, then you're far better at this than I am. The smart money spreads out the risk by using the entire tapping band all around the tree....kind of an insurance policy that way.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12