+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapping twice on the same tree

Default Tapping twice on the same tree

Hello
    I have about 25 trees on my property here in southeast Massachusetts.
    Can I tap the same tree twice? Meaning I tap the tree now and collect the sap over the next 4 weeks and then retap the same tree in March and collect a second run of sap? Basing the question in the fact the spots I use tend to stop producing after about a month. (Leader clear check valve spouts Drop lines into buckets)

Thanks
    Chris

Maybe, but only if the tree is big enough to get 2 taps. Generally the tapping guidelines are not because of the sap you will get from the tree but rather the physical wound you inflict by tapping.
    While in theory on a larger tree, you could tap twice I'd think it much smarter to tap the larger trees when the best part of the season arrives and if you want do both taps when you stand to get the most sap.
    If those trees are under 18" you should not do 2 taps anyway.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for the reply. All of my trees are 2 tappers. So I could stagger it a bit.

If I was to do this I would tap the early trees with a more southerly aspect and the later taps with a more northerly aspect

Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought about north vs south. I always just tap on the southern side. I think I will give it a shot (staggering my double taps by 2weeks) and seeing if I can stretch the season a bit.

Dr. Tim says it doesn't matter significantly which side you tap
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Thanks. Good to know

The problem of tapping all on the southern face means you run out of good tapping wood too soon. I tell my help, if it is the first time that tree is tapped, just tap it on the side you approach the tree from. Then the next year, tap at about 180 from last year's tap hole, year 3 go half way between yr 1 and 2 and yr 4 go 180 from year 3. Then in 5 tap between year 1 and 3 and work from there, going between the oldest 2 tap holes. On most trees you will still see evidence of the tap hole scar for several years.
    This way, in theory you will have a nearly perfect distribution on taps facing in all directions. I do not even want them to try to identify which direction it is.
    Last edited by maple flats; 01-31-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That’s great advice. I don’t think I can’t call my wife the “help” but I will take that approach

Actually that method I gave is for vacuum (even gravity 3/16 vacuum). If not on vacuum, tap the side you first approach the tree, in year 2 move 3-4" either right or left (but be consistent once you establish the pattern) and tap either 6" higher or 6" lower. Work that pattern year after year. By the time you get back to where you first tapped the new growth should have added over 2" new growth, continue working around the same way but don't tap deep enough to drill into stained wood.
    The tree responds to each years tap hole by sealing off that immediate area (called compartmentalization) and it will never again send sap to that area. If you drill into stained wood, you likely drilled into an old compartmentalized area. You will get little if any sap from that area.
    If you start on gravity but later move on to vacuum, change drilling tactics to move each year's tap hole as far as you can from the last 2 years holes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast