+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Central Ohio tapping

Sap's running really well here too. I've gotten 1 gallon per tap for the last two days. Unfortunately I got a bad case of the dumb a** this morning and blew an end cap off the RO membrane housing. Had lots of spare o-rings but didn't have any spare snap rings. Thought about cooking without RO but decided to wait. I will have the snap rings by Tuesday and the sap will not run much more til Thursday.
    Leader 1/2 pint - Kawasaki Mule - Smoky Lake Filter Bottler
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump
    2013 - 44 taps - 16 gallons syrup, 2014 - 109 taps - 26 gallons syrup
    2015 - 71 taps - 13.5 gallons syrup, 2016 - 125 taps - 24.25 gallons syrup
    2017 - 129 taps - 17.5 gallons syrup, 2018 - 128 taps- 18 gallons syrup
    2019 -130 taps - 18.5 gallons syrup, 2020 ~125 taps-19.75 gallons syrup

We are having a great season so far in Columbus. Our 900 gallon tank has been full at least 3 times- and i suspect it will be close to full for a long boil today. We have made about 65 gals of syrup on about 400 taps. I changed the outlet fittings on our gathering tank this year and have near decided that it leaked all last year because we never saw sap amounts like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tapped 1/30/16 for the first time
    200 taps- all buckets

2017 Expansion
    300 taps- buckets in Columbus
    40 tap on tubes- Mt. Gilead

Using maple syrup to teach Science, Engineering, Technology and Math

The thing I've noticed this year is that when the sap runs every tap is much more consistent than in the past. If I average about a gallon a tap then 70% of the taps will be very close to that amount. I have very few..maybe 1-2% that run almost nothing. Most years I will have a wide range from tap to tap. I may quit the first week in March. I only make it for fun and to give away. I don't need more than 20 gallons for that.
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump

This has been a great year. I’m up to 7.5 gallons, almost double last year. My silver maples are flowering so the end is near, but I’m hoping for another run this week. My syrup is darker than last year, but maybe that’s due to making larger batches. My real problem is filtering the finished syrup. I can’t get clear syrup like last year and I’m doing the same process — 3 prefilters inside of a synthetic cone filter. Seems like everything goes through except the foam.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

I haven't filtered anything yet so I'll see how my filtering process goes. My syrup also seems to be a little dark but I haven't looked at it through glass yet.

jdircksen, I'm going to give you some advice you probably won't like, but it will help you with your filtering. If you have a lot of foam then I'd guess your sap is breaking down and fermenting to some extent, probably not much but some. Are you boiling fresh? Also are you using defoamer? I actually filter my syrup three times. First off the evaporator through a cone pre-filter and I draw at 215-217 degrees. I then finish on propane and once I get it get it to bounce between217 and 218 I run it through one pre-filter and one final filter. This usually gets a ton of sugar sand out. I put it back on propane and finish to final density. I pull it straight off the heat and run it through 2 pre-filters and one final fliter. This usually shoots through very fast and is clear. If it starts to still have some sugar sand I add a little filter aid before final filtering. Most people fret over the lost syrup in the extra filtering, but you have to decide if you want clear or more. I doubt you lose that much actually. I do take that last set of filters and rinse them out in my flue section, that saves a lot of it. I used to struggle with the same things, but I have been much happier with my final product after I bit the bullet and started extra filtering. It's just the way life is for us small hobby guys. The other option is a filter press.

Since your on a cook top your building up your nitre and running it through your final filter. Try filtering through a pre-filter once when you hit 215 and you'll be surprised how much nitre you get out. It will finish faster then too as you have eliminated the nitre that is robbing heat.
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 02-25-2019 at 06:07 AM.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter View Post
    I haven't filtered anything yet so I'll see how my filtering process goes. My syrup also seems to be a little dark but I haven't looked at it through glass yet.
    So do you store it for a while and bottle a bunch at once? What do you store it in and do you have to keep it refrigerated?
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    jdircksen, I'm going to give you some advice you probably won't like, but it will help you with your filtering. If you have a lot of foam then I'd guess your sap is breaking down and fermenting to some extent, probably not much but some. Are you boiling fresh? Also are you using defoamer? I actually filter my syrup three times. First off the evaporator through a cone pre-filter and I draw at 215-217 degrees. I then finish on propane and once I get it get it to bounce between217 and 218 I run it through one pre-filter and one final filter. This usually gets a ton of sugar sand out. I put it back on propane and finish to final density. I pull it straight off the heat and run it through 2 pre-filters and one final fliter. This usually shoots through very fast and is clear. If it starts to still have some sugar sand I add a little filter aid before final filtering. Most people fret over the lost syrup in the extra filtering, but you have to decide if you want clear or more. I doubt you lose that much actually. I do take that last set of filters and rinse them out in my flue section, that saves a lot of it. I used to struggle with the same things, but I have been much happier with my final product after I bit the bullet and started extra filtering. It's just the way life is for us small hobby guys. The other option is a filter press.

Since your on a cook top your building up your nitre and running it through your final filter. Try filtering through a pre-filter once when you hit 215 and you'll be surprised how much nitre you get out. It will finish faster then too as you have eliminated the nitre that is robbing heat.
    Thank you for the info. I'm wondering if my pre-filters are not doing their job. I rinse them out and use them several times. Just seems like the niter is going right through them. Yesterday I did add a step where I filtered around 216* and the prefilter was hardly dirty.
    My final filter step is done at 219*. I read that niter forms when boiling above 200*, so am I supposed to let the syrup cool to 200* before I put it through the final filter?

to answer some questions -
    yes I'm boiling fresh - usually within 1-2 days and the sap is stored in my cellar around 45*
    I do not use defoamer or filter aid
    the foam I scrape off isn't much. I just go around the edge of the pan every 30 minutes and get some white bubbles off.
    Last edited by jdircksen; 02-25-2019 at 08:26 AM.

I store my syrup and bottle a few days worth at a time. I use 1/2 gallon mason jars. Your filters may be the problem if you have squeezed them out much. I spin mine in the washer and hang to dry. I have seen a couple years where nitre was soo fine I couldn't get it all. I have added diatomaceous earth to the syrup and filtered and it helped. If your not getting a lot , just cloudy syrup you may have to just let it settle. My syrup has filtered beautifully this year, very little nitre, but it going to change as season end is close and it will get hard to filter.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

The early season has been good here in Champaign County. Last week's great runs provided enough sap to make 6.5 gallons of beautiful golden syrup, the lightest in several years. Some of my taps put out 10 gallons of sap in 48 hours! I think it will be a good year for a change.
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons