+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Staff delivering

Default Staff delivering

Hello,

I was just curious if anyone here has anyone working part time doing deliveries to customers for them. If so, how do you pay them? Do you include mileage on top of the rate? I'm looking to hire someone part time to deliver for me and I'm kicking around ideas that will make it worth while for both parties.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Last edited by milligkl; 01-28-2019 at 05:12 PM.

I only have 1 old lady that I deliver to (a family friend for over 60 years) and I do it myself. Then I also handle stocking my only retail outlet. All of my other customers either buy at my home, the sugarhouse (by appt.) or order online.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by milligkl View Post
    Hello,

I was just curious if anyone here has anyone working part time doing deliveries to customers for them. If so, how do you pay them? Do you include mileage on top of the rate? I'm looking to hire someone part time to deliver for me and I'm kicking around ideas that will make it worth while for both parties.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    What kind of quantity are you looking to Deliver, I Deliver alot of syrup, but I tend to do it at my convenience, that way I just plan it around trips to town. I just get my customers In the habit of giving me adequate notice. Rarely have i made a special trip, but if someone wanted 10 gallons this afternoon I'd find a way to get it there.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

If you're a small producer then you want to avoid any employees! Hiring someone comes at hidden costs that might someday bite you. Let the post office (or Fed Ex, etc) do the delivery or do it yourself. If a worker's comp problem occurs (that syrup is heavy!) then you could be responsible. Or maybe they have an accident while making the delivery. If the person makes an unemployment claim then they might list you as an employer and you should have paid SUTA and FUTA. And on and on and on.

The way the laws are written, you have a lot of employer responsibilities even if you hire them as a contractor. The government has criteria that must be met to qualify as a contractor relationship so that the "contractor's" responsibilities remain with them and not on you.
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 01-29-2019 at 06:55 PM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I do the same as Nate. Usually I get enough advanced notice to work it into my schedule. Only occasionally a problem.

+ Reply to Thread