+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tapping Pennsylvania 2019

Hybrid View

Default Tapping Pennsylvania 2019

Well, It looks like it's my turn to start the Pa tapping thread!
    I am tapped!! Ha Ha! I put a bucket out yesterday to see what's going on.
    No, It looks like next week will be the week. As long as they don't change the forecast, that is.
    I'm about as ready as I can be in the woods. Last week I set a cage tank before it snowed, and today
    I ran some 3/16 tubing through a culvert under a road to get the drop I needed.
    Tap count this year, about the same, around 375. Plus the neighbor bringing from 40 buckets.
    Looking for a great season! Remember to have fun everyone!
    If it turns in to work, you should probably look elsewhere for a hobby!!!!!!
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

I'm with you Paddymountain. I'm about crawling out of my skin, this waiting is working on me. I doubled my tap count this year and added an RO and other bells and whistles.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Keeping my eye on the forecast, but it is looking like I will be tapping on Sunday 2/3! Everything is all set and ready to go. Can't wait to test out the new Smoky Lake 2x4 divided pan!
    Adam

2016: 6 Taps and a propane turkey fryer
    2019: 51 Taps on 3/16 gravity tubing
    Homemade Oil Tank Evaporator
    Badgerland by Smokey Lake 2x4 divided pan

I will put most of my taps in Saturday morning (around 18). Starting next Thursday it looks good for several weeks. Might get a short run this Saturday and Sunday. Let the drips begin!!!

I only got about 18 gallons from the 20 trees I have tapped here in the flat land. Kinda hoping the next few days run good so I can boil the weekend. First boil is always fun, the neighbors always stop by for the sweet smell and a coffee.

Sap is not flowing very well in Union County. I have 150 taps on 5/16 gravity that has only brought in about 40 gallons as of this morning.
    100 taps on 3/16 starting to run; but leaks everywhere! after 3 times fixing leaks, I finally think
    I have them under control. All the 3/16 is on marginal slope, so not getting big time vacuum, but better than 5/16 and no vac.
    90 some trees at the house on vacuum tapped yesterday, only 10 inches vac after fixing a dozen leaks.
    Probably won't boil until Friday, but certainly have a lot of the woods work ready for when we
    get thawed out a little more.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    Homemade 125gph Ro

I put taps in 14 trees this afternoon. A few of them started to drip just a tiny bit. It was right at the 32-33 degree line. The majority of the trees were in the 12-15" range but there were 4-5 that were larger.

After this week and the road is cut in I may have a few more that are big enough to tap. I didn't tap any that may get taken down this week. I hate seeing them come down but there isn't a choice.

Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by Skeller001; 02-02-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    Steve

SE Pennsylvania

2022 - 13 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 17.25
    2021 - 18 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 12 pints
    2020 - 13 taps, RO5, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove with 2 lg 6” deep pans - 6.75 pints (very warm winter)
    2019 Rookie Season - 14 taps, RO5, turkey fryer with 6” deep pan - 16.5 pints

Taps are in. Sap was flowing today. Tomorrow should be better.

Sugar was 1.75% on woods Norways.

Skeller001: I would think that you need a good freeze to reset your trees. Here in Central Pa we just started thawing out, even though
    we have been well above freezing every day since Sunday. Looks like a little colder on Saturday.
    We have finally got everything up and running half decent. Haven't boiled yet but tomorrow we will.
    Got the vacuum at the house up to 22" and hooked up to the tank around 4:00 this afternoon. 3/16 is sorted out and running.
    150 Taps on 5/16 only had about 40 gallon in the tank yesterday, but until tomorrow should have enough to boil.
    I really thought I would have boiled on Tuesday or Wednesday the way it warmed up, but surely can only do what nature allows.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    Homemade 125gph Ro

Skeller,
    Very interesting but not very surprising on how the sap production dropped off with continued warming the last few days. You should have good sap flow after the next freeze.
    I worked this late afternoon in the rain getting the last of the tubing and gathering systems in place while the weather was favorable. Looking at tapping next week unless its too cold.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast