+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Tapping in Western Pennsylvania

Finished tapping midday yesterday. I'm sore today! 70 taps on 3 lines. Sap was flowing like a river. I usually try to boil on the weekends but with this warm weather, I'll probably do my first boil on Wednesday.

Lots of improvements over last year so I'm excited to see how things go. Last year I had each of my 3 lines ran to different points....this year they all run to 1 collect tank. Last year I collected via my truck and transferred into my truck via 5 gallon bucks....this year I bought a small transfer pump. Last year I was boiling 1% sugar.....this year I build a small RO.

I put out 11 taps yesterday & today, have some more to put out the rest of the week. I'm handing over most of the week's collection to my husband so he can test the RO machine he built. And I started using the SapTapApp, it is so useful!

Quote Originally Posted by sbedilion View Post
    Finished tapping midday yesterday. I'm sore today! 70 taps on 3 lines. Sap was flowing like a river. I usually try to boil on the weekends but with this warm weather, I'll probably do my first boil on Wednesday.

Lots of improvements over last year so I'm excited to see how things go. Last year I had each of my 3 lines ran to different points....this year they all run to 1 collect tank. Last year I collected via my truck and transferred into my truck via 5 gallon bucks....this year I bought a small transfer pump. Last year I was boiling 1% sugar.....this year I build a small RO.
    Are you still tapping around the old golf course/new high school?

Excellent sap run on vacuum. About 2 gallons per tap. I've got about 60 more gallons to boil tonight. It will be close tonight for the first draw of the season. Coworkers buckets are running slow.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Quote Originally Posted by helptheold View Post
    Are you still tapping around the old golf course/new high school?
    I wish. Those massive tree are so so good. Maybe once the park is open, I will pitch them an educational plan and exchange for letting me tap them. All my trees are on my inlaws farm in Lone Pine. Lots of trees but they have small canopies and produce low sugar. Last year I was averaging over 80 gallons to make 1 gallon....which is why I built the RO.

Collect 50+ gallons tonight. Lines were barely moving. Weather is too warm now..haha.

Just getting lines up. Then will look at weather forecast and decide when to tap. Sap was running from some big cut branches!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by sbedilion View Post
    I wish. Those massive tree are so so good. Maybe once the park is open, I will pitch them an educational plan and exchange for letting me tap them. All my trees are on my inlaws farm in Lone Pine. Lots of trees but they have small canopies and produce low sugar. Last year I was averaging over 80 gallons to make 1 gallon....which is why I built the RO.
    I think that would be an excellent idea, I'd be happy to work with you on that!

Put out most of my taps now, I think there are a few more trees I've marked but I can't remember where they are! Will have to go looking for them later in the week. But I've gotten about 13 gallons which should be enough for testing the RO machine and getting things tweaked before some good runs happen.

I’m boiling 200 gallons I got today. Made 3 gallons of syrup. Coworkers buckets did bad. It’s been 3 days without a freeze yet the ground is still frozen. Vacuum dropped a little and found some leaks. Water hydrant finally thawed. Was able to mop the floor! Looks like a freeze tonight and a good run tomorrow.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast