+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Tapping in Western Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by sbedilion View Post
    I haven't collected since Sunday evening. It's 73 out now,plus the previous warm days.....I'm assuming I'll be dumping it. Collecting/Boiling tonight if its still good. If I dump it, I most likely will be calling it a season. My goal was 10 gallons and I'm at that now....same as last season but with a much bigger setup and RO. Everything was much more enjoyable this year.
    sap taste fine....top layer of sap looks funky. im pumping from the bottom...so ill collect most of it and when im closing in on the funky stuff i’ll turn the pump off and dump it. boiling tonight. keeping it seperate from the rest of my almost finished syrup...just in case.

sbdelion,

My problems could simply be due to bacteria building up during the long gravity-powered journey through the bush to my RO's. So do judge for yourself. My situation may not indicate that your maple season is coming to an end.
    Last edited by HowardR; 03-14-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR View Post
    sbdelion,

My problems could simply be due to bacteria building up during the long gravity-powered journey through the bush to my RO's. So do judge for yourself. My situation may not indicate that your maple season is coming to an end.
    I was more or less saying I was worried my sap from the week was bad because of the hot weather. Buds on my trees are still tight. I may or may not wrap things up this wkend. We might have 1 more week but other hobbies are starting up.

Based in Murrysville and most of my red maples have slowed considerably at this point (tapped on 2/4). Sugar Maples were still running OK as of yesterday. We will see what the next week brings, but might be wrapping it up soon. Had a great year on 34 taps making 6 gallons. Used a new custom evaporator and RO I built.

https://www.sugartree.run/2019/03/cu...vaporator.html
    Last edited by DRoseum; 03-15-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Done. This week's weather looks great for sap runs but after finishing up a few batches yesterday and cleaning up I decided to call it. Finished off the season with around 13 gallons.

This years improvements made things very enjoyable again. Bigger evaporator, RO, 3 lines ran to 1 collection tank verse 3 tanks, NEW TRUCK (my little tacoma maxed out at around 100gallons of sap).

My biggest bottleneck is finishing. Since I batch boil....and my smallest pan is 2x3, I'm pulling my pan off the fire with about 5 gallons of near syrup that will still need boiled down to about 2-3 gallons of syrup. This part takes hours since I'm doing it on a stove. I might make a smaller pan w/ propane burners for next season.

Hope the sap gushes for everyone this week. Enjoy.

Image-1b.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm done as well, now I just have to get the energy up to clean everything. Still have a bunch of near syrup in the freezer that I need to finish, I'll probably put that off until I'm finished cleaning so that I have the motivation

Done. This week's weather looks great for sap runs but after finishing up a few batches yesterday and cleaning up I decided to call it. Finished off the season with around 13 gallons.

This years improvements made things very enjoyable again. Bigger evaporator, RO, 3 lines ran to 1 collection tank verse 3 tanks, NEW TRUCK (my little tacoma maxed out at around 100gallons of sap).

My biggest bottleneck is finishing. Since I batch boil....and my smallest pan is 2x3, I'm pulling my pan off the fire with about 5 gallons of near syrup that will still need boiled down to about 2-3 gallons of syrup. This part takes hours since I'm doing it on a stove. I might make a smaller pan w/ propane burners for next season.

Hope the sap gushes for everyone this week. Enjoy.

Attachment 19738
    That is a super cute bottle, where did you get it?

There is a brewing supply store (South Hills Brewing) near my office. I only bought a case (12) of these to make into nice gifts..they are 16oz. I did the rest of my syrup in normal bottles. Still playing around with label designs.

IMG_6456.jpg

Hopping for a couple more runs this week. in PA's great white north land!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

There is a brewing supply store (South Hills Brewing) near my office. I only bought a case (12) of these to make into nice gifts..they are 16oz. I did the rest of my syrup in normal bottles. Still playing around with label designs.

Attachment 19761
    Those bottles look great. I didn't do any sugaring this year as I've been too busy with extra work. I kinda miss the long boils and bottling though. I still have a bunch of last years syrup so I'm good there. I did put a single tap out the other day so I could make my favorite drink: sap and Jameson Black Barrel. Sap is clear and delicious.
    2017 - Started with 5 taps, added 2 more. 16 gallons of sap. 58 ounces of syrup. Boiled in a 4" water pan on my camp stove. Finished in the kitchen.
    2018 - Expanding to a relatives property. Upgrading my boiling setup to a double pan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast