+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump help Please

Pump flows, maybe I can shed some light on the subject. Back 35-40 years ago, I grew 3.5 acres of strawberries. For frost protection I needed to run the irrigation all night, until after the ice that forms on the strawberry buds all melts off. I used a 12 HP fire 3" pump. I had to use a 4" suction pipe and 4" out to the first junction where the pipes split into 2 pipes of 3" each. Had I not done that I would not have gotten enough pressure for all 43 sprinklers to spray enough water to protect the buds. I had very little rise in elevation, the pump sat beside the pond. As pumping started on any night the pond was only about 5' below the pump level, at the end of the night as I could shut the pump off the pond was up to 9' lower. (If a second night was forecast to have a frost, I pumped more water, with 2 pumps of 2" size 1500' away and about 10' lower, at a creek to refill the pond. That took 8 hrs to refill the pond)
    Line friction is a big factor. If the pipe used is not large enough to keep the line friction down, the pump moves far less water (or in your case, sap)
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Most gas 1” or 1-1/2” pumps say they will push 90’ head and pull 20+’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never go by the theory "most gas pumps say", read the specs on the pump you are thinking of buying. Most do not say they will push 90' of head, nor will they lift 20'. Each is related to several factors and not just that it is a 1" or 1.5" pump.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by MISugarDaddy View Post
    I highly suggest changing the spark plug that comes in the Harbor Freight pump to an NGK, it will start much easier.
    Gary
    Do you know what the cross referenced NGK plug is by chance? I want to pick up a couple.

I have a 1" HF gas powered pump, Torch E4RC plug. NAPA cross reference gave me a Champion 830
    Cross to an 830 is-
    NGK BR6HS
    Autolite 414
    Hope this helps
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

On my HF pump, the plug that came in it was a Torch E5TC. The NGK equivalent was BP5HS. I run a gap of .031". It definitely helps it start easier.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Thanks guys, I’ll take a look and see what it has.

I have used Honda WH15X gas pump for 15 plus years .The Honda WH15X is a high pressure high output pump. Ive pump 1200 feet from back of woods to storage tank to be picked up. It was up hill 600 ft. about 60 ft. rise then down hill to truck tank. Never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kubota900 View Post
    I have used Honda WH15X gas pump for 15 plus years .The Honda WH15X is a high pressure high output pump. Ive pump 1200 feet from back of woods to storage tank to be picked up. It was up hill 600 ft. about 60 ft. rise then down hill to truck tank. Never had a problem.
    What size line were you using on this to pump 1200 ft?
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12