+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tapping time???

Thanks! I was out in the monsoon for 4 hours last Thursday and it made me a little nervous when I got out in the woods and then the water rushing down the hill got about 3 feet deep, trapping me in the woods...right before the tornado sirens went off. Fortunately just heavy rain, but had to bring my truck home instead of my car because all the roads around Lake Lemon were under water. A friend who left 15 minutes after me couldn't get out because it came up so fast and he was stuck there for two days. Going down tomorrow to survey the damage...I hear my dock is gone.
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

have sap to collect, but frozen in bags in the woods, looks like another week before will be able to thaw to collect

Quote Originally Posted by maplefarmer View Post
    have sap to collect, but frozen in bags in the woods, looks like another week before will be able to thaw to collect
    On the bright side, it means another run! Looking back there were years I was done at the end of Feb. Looking like I'll get more off of 80 taps this year than 150 last year.
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12