+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tapping time???

Default tapping time???

Looking at forecasts, shows nothing above 32deg. clear out to 2-18, guess i have awhile
    to wait

While they are interesting, long term forecasts (beyond 5 days) are basically useless. However, that won't stop weather companies from giving them to us.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    While they are interesting, long term forecasts (beyond 5 days) are basically useless. However, that won't stop weather companies from giving them to us.
    Yup, that's pretty much the case....

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/Weather.pdf
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Heck I wouldn't bet on anything past 3 days
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Oh, i know, heck they'll probably change it again before todays over

unless it stays cold well past your normal maple season I tend to think it can result in a better season. But if it goes well past normal you will likely have a shorter season. We'll all know how it went, after the season.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    unless it stays cold well past your normal maple season I tend to think it can result in a better season. But if it goes well past normal you will likely have a shorter season. We'll all know how it went, after the season.
    One of the common questions we get (especially from reporters) this time of year is "How is the season going to be?"

Our answer is...."Ask us again when it's over."
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Looks like I'll be repairing lines and tapping Saturday and Sunday. With my property an hour and a half away, I try to just go down on weekends, but if we are in the low 50's through the week with lows in the 40's I may have to go down daily to every other day. From too cold to too warm...figures!
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

tapped my vac. line today, very hard to get to runs along steep river bank, think may have run coming up end of week, but had help today, so got that much done. was cold and nothing was dripping when tapped

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Franklin View Post
    Looks like I'll be repairing lines and tapping Saturday and Sunday. With my property an hour and a half away, I try to just go down on weekends, but if we are in the low 50's through the week with lows in the 40's I may have to go down daily to every other day. From too cold to too warm...figures!
    Andrew, I have heard you speak of your steep slope on your property. We have had a ton of rain down here and the ground is saturated and very slippery. Be careful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast