+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southeast Ohio 2019

Needing to upgrade your evaporator is a good problem to have. I build a wood fired when I made the jump from a turkey fryer set up. I find if I point my air inlet towards the wind it gets hotter faster. Ive still got some insulation issues but it works.

Rick I'll be glad to help you out with your tubing system. I may be able to help you with an evaporator upgrade as well. I'm about to outgrow my 18x72 rig. She's not perfect, bu I've made about 80 gallons of syrup on her the last three years combined. 18x42 drop flue behind an 18x30 syrup pan. The syrup pan is for a 30" wide rig, I turned it 90 Deg and put a bulk head fitting in to connect it to the flue pan. I'l be cooking tonight, you should run over after you get off work. Or come over this weekend and walk through the woods and see my rig. I was planning on boiling another 2 years on this set up before expanding again, but I keep finding ways to move sap from all these tappable trees. I'm thinking of selling my boat to upgrade to a 2x8 lol Lord help me. I've got the bug so bad!
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

SELL YOUR BOAT......blasphemy blasphemy. Surely I didn't read that right bmbmkr. what is a man without his boat? I'm sorry but the evaporator goes before my boat goes. I think I have about a week left and I'm done. Haven't had any sap for three days, but it running now and looks good the rest of the week. It has been shorter but good so far. My sugar is the highest it's been in several years, the only down side is the MUD!
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    SELL YOUR BOAT......blasphemy blasphemy. Surely I didn't read that right bmbmkr. what is a man without his boat? I'm sorry but the evaporator goes before my boat goes. I think I have about a week left and I'm done. Haven't had any sap for three days, but it running now and looks good the rest of the week. It has been shorter but good so far. My sugar is the highest it's been in several years, the only down side is the MUD!
    I've got 2! The 17' Alumaweld with 50 hP Honda, might have to go I'll keep the Minn Kota I pilot and Lowrance side scan and put em on the 14' Jon that I have a go devil on, been usin it more since I moved home anyway, We'll still have the kayaks and canoe, We catch more fish off the kayaks than both boats combined. When I met my wife she wanted a kayak instead of an engagement ring, she got it. We had our first date on the Alumaweld, we caught a bunch a catfish that night, you've really got to romance a southern woman! (She's from NC). Been together for 11 1/2 years, ( married for 11 1/4)- she puts up with my sugarin an I put up with her sheep, goats, chickens and cows- we eat pretty good though.

I just hauled down 250 gallon from Dads place, goin out to cut out a few more reds from the lateral up in the holler, the ones I cut out day before yesterday down low sprung buds yesterday. Cooked off 500 gallon last night only made 5 1/2 gallon of syrup. I hope these sugars hold off through today's heat wave, supposed to be a cold set this weekend. we'll see. I passed the 40 gallon mark last night.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

Quote Originally Posted by bmbmkr View Post
    I've got 2!
    Well as long as you have something to fish out of. I just bought a new Tracker deep V last year. I sold my old 19' deck boat and got a nice fishing boat. If you ever want to come up my way I can take you Saugeye Fishing on Rocky Fork or Paint Creek or crappie/catfishing.

My trees are really slowing up. I don't think I have much time left as sap is clouding a little. I put out ten new taps on buckets today just for some fresh sap flow. They are all within a few yards of my collection tank, but were too offline to catch with my tubing line, so it'll be easy to just dump them in the big tank. that ought to help me make my last 6 gallons. when I get that made I'm quitting even if sap is still flowing. Sap has slowed, but my sugar is still good at just under 2%
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I used to fish paint creek back in the 80s. Mainly channel cats and bass. Cowan for crappies. Now the dacks for pike.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12