+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Evaporator pan advice for block arch

jimmol,
    How has the Silver Creek 18x34 pan worked out for you over the past 2 years? I am looking to get that size because it will fit nicely on top of a pair of 16x16 gas burners.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    I doubt a 32nd of an inch difference in pan thickness would amount to a hill
    of beans to a hobby sugarer. 16 gauge is just shy of a 1/16 inch , 22 gauge is 1/32 inch.
    Stiffer pan on a block arch might actually be a good thing but each to their own.
    I can have approx 12 gals sap to a rolling boil from a cold start in 1/2 hr and then
    boil off 7-8 gals hr with a 2' x 2' x 6" 16 ga. pan. Not bad at all.
    I think an thickness makes a huge difference in efficiency..as does the design of the arch.
    You can boil an inch of sap on coals in a 22 gauge pan.A 16 gauge pan won't boil anything at all on coals.
    With 16 gauge you just need a bigger fire.
    It's hard to out boil 24 gauge steam pans all things being equal.
    Is your pan 2' x 2' for a total of 4 sq. ft?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123