+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugar in sap vs prior years weather?

Default Sugar in sap vs prior years weather?

I did some searching but could not find anything. How does last summer and falls weather effect this years sugar content of sap? I am sure it depends on a ton of factors and species of maples but didn’t know if anyone had a theory. Here in central Michigan we were extremely dry in June, July and August and have had a temendous amount of water since then (one of the wettest falls on record.) Dad thinks we are going to have weak sap because of all of the rain in the last 4 months. Thoughts? Thanks for the replies.
    1986-2002 2x6 Leader evaporator 150 taps drop tubes
    Life happens
    2015 130 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2016 225 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2017 300+? MicRO single membrane
    2019 325 taps 81 gallons made, most ever for us
    2020 2x6 Smoky Lake evaporator 400 taps with 160 on a guzzler pump
    2021..... a lot more line and vacuum

Drought conditions are harder on the trees than wet conditions. The wet ground will supply plenty of moisture for the sap to run but the drought may mean lower sugar. Here in NH the conditions were just about perfect for good sugar and the ground was saturated before the freeze up. I'm thinking we're going to have a good season with better than average sugar here.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Heard Dr Perkins speak at Ohio Maple Days this past Saturday.
    If I got it right; a wet May (which we had in NE Ohio) and a warm November (which we also had) are not good for sugar content....you coulda' heard a pin drop.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Drought conditions can cause the trees to put out smaller leaves, or to lose leaves early. The leaves make the sugar. We had a drought a couple years ago that caused a two point drop in our sugar content. There was plenty of sap, but the lower sugar content made it a lot harder to get to syrup. Less sugar means more fuel use.

We had HORRIBLE sugar content last year, and from the best of my research and readings, it was mainly due to a drought a couple years prior that stressed the trees and put them in "survival mode". The following year the trees spit out seeds like I've never seen before, which I guess eats up a lot of the trees sugar supply. Foliage was awful too, small leaves that dried up early in the summer season. That led us into last season with sugar content averaging around 1%, but a good amount of sap.

Looking forward to see how it plays out this year. Last summer the leaves were as big and lush as I've ever seen, and stayed that way until early fall. To me that seems like the trees should have produced more sugar than usual, but time will tell.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Here in Allegany county the summer was about normal. For the fall we had lots of rain and it was hard to get out to the fields to do second cutting. Making ruts through hunting season and couldn’t drive out to get the deer. Then we just got very cold. Almost looks like my 2014 season for how cold it is. The trees are most likely frozen solid.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Heard Dr Perkins speak at Ohio Maple Days this past Saturday.
    If I got it right; a wet May (which we had in NE Ohio) and a warm November (which we also had) are not good for sugar content....you coulda' heard a pin drop.
    This work is still somewhat in the early stages, but almost anything that either:

1. Makes the photosynthetic engine run slower (hot, dry summer, or cloudy with too much rain),
    2. Uses up sugar in the late summer, fall and early winter (hot weather after leaf drop, or warm weather through the winter, seed production)

can result in reduced sugar storage in trees and produce lower than normal sugar content in sap in the spring.

Best results (higher sugar content) are found with the Goldilocks weather conditions...not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry.

Good meeting you in Ohio John. Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself. Nice to put a face to a name.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 01-22-2019 at 08:06 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    ...Good meeting you in Ohio John. Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself. Nice to put a face to a name.
    It was also good to meet you, and thank you for an informative 2 hours. You're a good speaker - guessing you've had lot's of practice....
    Hope your trip back was uneventful. The weather held off for a few hours after the seminar, but then it was lights out. Welcome to Geauga County in January!
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    It was also good to meet you, and thank you for an informative 2 hours. You're a good speaker - guessing you've had lot's of practice....
    Hope your trip back was uneventful. The weather held off for a few hours after the seminar, but then it was lights out. Welcome to Geauga County in January!
    Thanks John. Was great to meet several new folks and have lots of good questions throughout the entire trip.

The trip home was uneventful, but different than that which was planned. We (wife and I) were supposed to fly back to Syracuse (we'd been travelling since the NY State Conference on Jan 5th) to get our car, but our flight was cancelled due to weather. We ended up renting a car and driving to Syracuse, then getting in our car and driving home. Total of about 14.5 hrs drive, but the roads were not that bad. Otherwise we'd have been stuck waiting for the "next available flight", which was going to be Wednesday (or later). Got home just after midnite Sunday to a bunch of snow and some really cold weather...but still good to be home again.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread