+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pipe sealant

Default Pipe sealant

Hello I am building an RO system this winter and wondering if anyone uses any thread sealant or teflon tape on PVC threads?

Thank you

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Ray Gingrich uses some for bluish paste. Not sure if it is thread sealant or antisease but my son (in the plumbing trade) tells me that it is food grade. I can't remember if he said thread sealant or antisease
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

What parts are PVC? PVC will not hold up to most RO pressures if you are going up where other do on pressure. It will take drain and low pressure components. Yes, use teflon tape, but be careful tightening. The teflon gives you the impression it is not screwed in very tight but if joining anything into PVC female parts you can break the PVC by tightening too much and splitting the PVC.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I agree with Flats in industry we would never use pipe dope that was a petroleum base on PVC. after time it will soften the joint. IF it is the label will say "Safe for PVC". So I usually used Teflon tape. There are some types of plastic pipe that will take more pressure than the typical 150 working pressure at room temperature but one thing I found is plastic pipe in general doesn't like vibration and fittings can stress crack. Jay
    Zucker Lager

Oatey Great White pipe dope for use on abs, nylon etc. fittings. Reworking my RO as well and after much research settled on this product. While I usually support the use of Teflon tape, my reading on plumbing sites suggests that non hardening pipe dope is “pushed” into the threads essentially plugging the treads. Suggested to hand tighten then no more than 1 1/2 turns. How this helps (and works!).
    Lapierre 2x6 AOF
    Deer Run 250gph RO
    Lapierre 7” filter press
    Lapierre canner
    16x24 sugar house
    Lapierre dealer sales rep
    Australian Cattle dogs Toby & Sasha

+ Reply to Thread