+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: flame temperature of various woods?

Default flame temperature of various woods?

I can find heat content (Btu/lb) of various hard and soft woods from various sources. However, I have heard that some woods, such as cedar, which is available in abundance here in Missouri, burns hotter than other wood, even though it doesn't have as much heat content as hardwoods, such as hickory, oak, locust, or osage orange. Can someone please provide a table of flame temperature of various woods? In searching on google, if you look for words "combustion temperature" it is sometimes confused with "ignition temperature" which is not what I am looking for.

Some old timers here claim that cedar burns the hottest of all because of its sticky sap content. Any comments on cedar or flame temperature would be appreciated.

Yes, there are maple syrupmakers in Missouri, mostly in the hill country of tributaries of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, and in the eastern half of the state. I have met about a dozen of them, and some of us are already boiling! We had a 15" snowstorm in mid Missouri a week ago and the subsequent days, though foggy and cold, led to some good sap flow. We now have an arctic air mass, so the trees are sleeping for a while.

Good luck to readers in New England who are getting a snow blast tonight. Your sap will flow in a few weeks! John
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

That’s an interesting question. I would guess that while it may be true that some types of wood burn hotter than others, the differences would be negligible, especially when compared to other factors such as cost, availability, and moisture content. In other words, burn what you have on hand and make sure it’s dry.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

If I remember right all wood has the same btu's per pound. Pine pitch can add some btu's. The temp depends on getting the fuel to air ratio correct and less moisture to interfere with mixing.

This may be more what you are looking for:
    http://worldforestindustries.com/for...d-btu-ratings/

Unless you are just curious, don't worry about it's flame temperature. Just give it all the oxygen it needs and keep adding wood according to a timer. I've burned everything from Bass wood, to oak, cedar, cherry, locust, ash, sugar maple, pine and hemlock plus many others. While each species may need a longer or shorter refuelling interval, they all boiled just as well as any others, you just need to figure out the time for adding more. On mine, once I added AOF (air over fire) has been 8 minutes on the softer woods to 9 if all harder woods. Just make sure it's dry and split to wrist size in at least 1 dimension and not over 2x wrist size in the other.
    Last edited by maple flats; 01-20-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I came across a bunch of cedar in the wood I had put up for last year's boil. I decided I like using it.

Burns a little quicker and so I had to adjust stoking time.

It doesn't leave as much hot coals so shutting down for the day is easier to control.

Plus I'ld rather use the hardwoods for the wood stove.

This year I believe I have enough cedar in the shed for the maple season.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

If you find it, it would be incorrect to take that as your operating temperature..
    the fire temperature can get hotter for any wood if there is good oxygen and insulation in the burn chamber. It gets lower as a result of moisture. So regardless of type, if it is very dry, and plenty of oxygen, it can burn hot. Cardboard for example can burn very hot since it is typically dry and the corrugations trap air. Splitting smaller kindling size of any type will allow a faster burn, making more heat in a period of time, and thus being hotter. So a given type of wood or any other fuel can have a wide range of operating temperature. Oak is know for good btu value, but that is really based on cord, or volume purchase. If you get dry wood, they are all similar btu per lb dry. Since often is available green, the ratings are easily comparable by volume. In your arch, the lighter wood may actually burn faster, and hotter, if it is dry, than hardwood.
    Hope this helps.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

I've boiled with several types of very dry punky wood in the past and have had trouble keeping sap in the pans without using a lot of defoamer ( especially dry punky hard maple). I like boiling with lighter weight wood of all types as long as its dry. I am still boiling with cottonwood that has been in the woodshed for 6 years now. Have several more years worth in there.

I agree with some comments that BTUs seem generally related to dry density. And, more moisture means more BTU to extract the water. Also, I don't think the burn temperature matters but the burn time does. Lighter wood generally means less BTUs and a shorter burn time. More moisture means more BTUs towards drying.

Qualifier: I'm not just a Rookie, I'm a Rookie 1st Class!
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast