+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Tote with Advacado Oil

They are designed to completely drain when on a flat level surface. However I have had small pools of liquid remain inside. My tanks may not be completely level. If you pitch them toward the drain, liquid can pool on either side of the drain opening, getting trapped by the inward bulge for the drain fitting. But overall, they drain well.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I just picked up 2 IBC tanks that held white vinager. Already rinsed it out with water and baking soda, pressure washed with some simple green, then clean water rinse. Anything else I should do to reduce the chance of a taste spreading to sap? multiple soaks? Bleach? Or is it just worth buying liners?

You should be fine. Just get it clean and let it breathe, leave it vented. Should be fine for sap come next spring.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by t-ciccarello View Post
    I just picked up 2 IBC tanks that held white vinager. Already rinsed it out with water and baking soda, pressure washed with some simple green, then clean water rinse. Anything else I should do to reduce the chance of a taste spreading to sap? multiple soaks? Bleach? Or is it just worth buying liners?
    Make sure that you get all of the Simple Green out of them before you use them. Leave them open to the air and the vinegar smell should go away before you're ready to use them.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron;37 2362
    This is the cover that I used. I can't seem to find it on Amazon anymore either. https://shop.snydernet.com/tank-acce...esco-60038.asp
    Just noticed that Bascom's sells the 16" covers and rings in there catalog on page 41 lower right hand corner.
    3x10 Dallalre, oil fired, Stainless steel.
    Steam hoods front and rear with preheater.
    1500 taps on vac, right to sugar house.
    900 on Gravity
    New Busch 3 Phase Vacuum. (2010)
    Lapierre 600 Turbo with 2 - 8" posts
    36 years of MAPLE ENJOYMENT!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...93710737313171

Quote Originally Posted by western mainer View Post
    So Russ what are lids - covers call on Amazon? Can't seem to find them.
    Thanks Brian
    If you search for "Catch Covers", you should be able to find a very similar product that I have been using. They are covers designed for the floors of ice shacks, but work great in the top of totes. They make cleaning MUCH easier! I also use kayak hatches on the ends of 55 gallon drums to make cleaning easier.
    2020 - 320 Taps
    2x5 Raised Flue Lapierre Waterloo Small Evaporator
    WF Mason Finisher/Canner

Russell, did you use any form of gasket under the ring? i am getting ready to install mine, and there is no gasket or anything. thanks for the info on using the larger lid, it should make cleaning out the 330 gallon ones that i have so much easier.

thanks for any info.

The tanks available in our area come from two sources, Poultry Processing Plants, and McKee Bakery, makers of Little Debbie cakes. The employees that get them sell them for 50 dollars or less, sorta crazy they are not reused, all are 300 gallon tanks in a metal cage, The chemical in the poultry tanks is something they spray on raw chicken before freezing, so I would guess it is food grade for you guy's that buy poultry from a grocery chain? The tanks are rinsed clean before they are given or sold I guess to the employee who resells them. I was told the Bakery tanks had some type of syrup ( most certainly not maple ) in them. I was told the person that got several for resale paid 20 dollars each, I will try to find out more info on them, I guess if a person with a trailer could buy a load at 20 dollars each it would be worth while to haul them north for 100 dollars each?
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

I'm not familiar with those totes, but I read on some I got which had things like apple juice concentrate, orange juice concentrate, safflower oil or Pure vanilla extract that had a tag on them, recyclable, call to have them picked up free of charge. No mention of any refund or credit value. Maybe our economy is too designed to discard rather than recycle too many things. If that's the case on all of them, if a company can get $20 each from an employee they are far ahead.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I’m cleaning organic sunflower oil out of my totes. I’m trying Dawn dish soap. They claim it will take oil off a duck. We used it when we milked cows so figured it be safe for maple. I used 1/2 gallon of dawn soap then fill it to the top. Let it Sit for a few hours, drain it, rinse it. Then 2 pounds of baking soda, fill it, let it sit for a day, then rinse. The baking soda is supposed to get rid of the soap residue. Anyone else use this method? The wife isn’t happy about her dawn soap missing.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12