+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heating mechanical extractor

Default heating mechanical extractor

This will be my second year running. Last year went well overall, but I'd like to try to make things better. Last year I had my extractor (bottom dump) on my collection tank about 1000' away from my sugar house. Electric is too expensive to run to the area of the property where the collection tank and extractor sit. My issue is that the extractor freezes up pretty solid at night. Last year, I started turning my vacuum pump off when temps got to freezing then disconnecting the lines to the extractor and letting them drain to the tank. I don't like taking the line off vacuum, because of back pressure letting sap getting pulled back to the trees.

I was thinking of trying to fashion some sort of insulated box to go around the extractor (except the bottom side) and keep it heated somehow.

I'm guessing I would need a generator that could run 8-10 hours through the night to get through freezing temps, depending on how well I insulate I could possibly keep the extractor warm with a couple light bulbs, or maybe a small propane heater, I do have 2 100 lb tanks I can use.

I'm looking for any idea of how to accomplish this from people that have done this before. Any recommendations, pictures, etc?

Thank you,

Mike
    Mike

450 taps on vacuum - 2018 - 150 gal
    530 taps on vacuum - 2019 - 190 gal
    520 taps on vacuum - 2020 - 196 gal
    515 taps on vacuum - 2021 - 150 gal
    24 x 32 Pole Barn Sugar House 2018
    Smoky Lake 2x8 Silverlake Raised Flue w/ concentric exhaust 2018
    Memprotec 350H RO
    Smoky Lake Water Jacket Bottler 2018
    Smoky Lake Filter Press 2018
    Smoky Lake Water Jacket Draw Off Tank 2018

I kind of have the same problem. Ours is closer (100 feet or so) and its an electrical extractor. We can heat it but what we do for the incoming lines to releaser is shut them, turn vac off then wait for vac to run out in lines then open them. that would help for sap rushing back to the taps. For heat you could try a good battery and a 12 volt light. If you don't want to heat it you could also do a tee on the lines prior to entering the releaser, point them down, put a valve on it and open them when vac is lost. drain right into the tank without taking anything apart.
    March 2011- my brain had a weird spark
    3 taps then 14
    2012- 35 taps
    2013-GBM 2x4 150 taps
    2014- Custom 2x10
    2015- Smoky Lake 2x2 syrup 2x8 drop flue
    2016- turbo 2000 and 36 cfm sihi 500 taps,
    2017- SL filter and bottler

Quote Originally Posted by MN Jake View Post
    I kind of have the same problem. Ours is closer (100 feet or so) and its an electrical extractor. We can heat it but what we do for the incoming lines to releaser is shut them, turn vac off then wait for vac to run out in lines then open them. that would help for sap rushing back to the taps. For heat you could try a good battery and a 12 volt light. If you don't want to heat it you could also do a tee on the lines prior to entering the releaser, point them down, put a valve on it and open them when vac is lost. drain right into the tank without taking anything apart.
    For batteries, do people usually have one hooked up, then swap another when needs recharging? I would assume a battery will last thought the night if just powering a light. Do you have any recommendations on batteries? I like the idea of putting Ts in with valves, I'm going to work on doing that, thanks!
    Mike

450 taps on vacuum - 2018 - 150 gal
    530 taps on vacuum - 2019 - 190 gal
    520 taps on vacuum - 2020 - 196 gal
    515 taps on vacuum - 2021 - 150 gal
    24 x 32 Pole Barn Sugar House 2018
    Smoky Lake 2x8 Silverlake Raised Flue w/ concentric exhaust 2018
    Memprotec 350H RO
    Smoky Lake Water Jacket Bottler 2018
    Smoky Lake Filter Press 2018
    Smoky Lake Water Jacket Draw Off Tank 2018

Mr Buddy propane heater works good and a 100lb tank would last at season
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

Quote Originally Posted by miboss View Post
    For batteries, do people usually have one hooked up, then swap another when needs recharging? I would assume a battery will last thought the night if just powering a light. Do you have any recommendations on batteries? I like the idea of putting Ts in with valves, I'm going to work on doing that, thanks!
    You may not have to heat if you fashion up some line drains. No sense in heating something that will never operate below freezing.
    Last edited by MN Jake; 01-18-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    March 2011- my brain had a weird spark
    3 taps then 14
    2012- 35 taps
    2013-GBM 2x4 150 taps
    2014- Custom 2x10
    2015- Smoky Lake 2x2 syrup 2x8 drop flue
    2016- turbo 2000 and 36 cfm sihi 500 taps,
    2017- SL filter and bottler

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Some people fashion an insulated foam box with a candle for nights where it might freeze up.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

One of the best things I’ve done is build boxes around releasers to keep from freezing. They will run so much better warm. Plus I don’t need to make another trip to turn off at freeze and on at thaw. I just leave the pump on 24/7. Never miss a drop

I've got the same problem. My releaser is 1,500 feet away and it would be nice not to have to go down and clean the ice off of the bottom flap in the morning. I built a lean to over the tank and releaser to keep the snow and rain off and that helped a lot. The dump mechanism doesn't freeze up anymore but it would be nice to keep the releaser thawed if practical and possible.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by PerryFamily View Post
    One of the best things I’ve done is build boxes around releasers to keep from freezing. They will run so much better warm. Plus I don’t need to make another trip to turn off at freeze and on at thaw. I just leave the pump on 24/7. Never miss a drop
    Do you have pictures? Using any heat?
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I have been throwing around the idea of using something around the size of a 60W light in and enclosure to keep the releaser thawed.
    I am thinking of using either foil faced foam board of use some 2" thick foam and make a box.

Since I have the vac pump right next to the sap tank I have electric right there.
    I was thinking of putting another contactor relay hooked up to The PID controller of the vac pump so that when the vac shuts down cause of low temp that the other contactor will energize and supply power to the 60W light in the releaser enclosure and also a heat tape that is wrapped around the moisture trap to be sure that it stayes thawed and drains once there is no longer vac in the lines.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast