+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Northcentral Wisconsin 2019

Took my loader yesterday and made little roadways through the woods to tree clusters. My maples are in mixed woods and there are areas of maples surrounded by other stuff. Now I only have 20 or 30 feet of snowshoeing travel to do to individual trees in the 3 foot snow........its gona be soooooo much fun hey? Another cold week coming but maybe after that????? Jay
    Zucker Lager

Any word from people in the North Central area of Wisconsin, has it started to flow yet. Tapped 25 near Merrill this year, was not much sap last weekend so hopefully when I go up this weekend the buckets are full.

I tapped last weekend, near Presque Isle. One hole out of 50 was barely wet. Hoping this weekend I'll have enough to cook.

I've made a couple barrels of syrup in Merrill, starting out dark like last year and got lighter as I continued to run.
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

I tapped around 90 on 3/16 Sunday late afternoon near Merrill. I had immediate flow, but nothing spectacular. One line was pulling 14" before I left. Neighbor checked mid week and one line was pulling 25" two were at 18" and my 4th line has no gauge at present, but that was my best line and should have been pulling hard. As of yesterday morning I have about 130 gallons for the approx. 4 days they have been in.

I'm going to check things out today and play with my sap sucker to see what I can do. Hopefully cook Sunday.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 03-23-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

Tapped 17 yesterday, snow is still knee deep, one tree that is in the open dripped a little all the others were dry.................We are usually a week or two behind you guys in Merrill sometimes more. Jay
    Zucker Lager

Went to our place this past weekend and collected 40gallons from the past week on Saturday and Sunday morning when I went to collected I had 22 gallons, so was a good run Saturday.

3rd year with 25 taps and cinder block arch.

Cooked 200 gallons sap down to about 7 gallons that needs to be finished. Had 50 gallons new sap in the tank when I left Sunday. Today the tank is full at 275 gallons. No idea how long it has been full for. Finally a decent run.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

Last week Friday I had collected 86 gallons on the 25 taps I have out. I had a lot of full buckets wonder how much more I would of had if I could of collected during the week instead of just on the weekends since I am 3 hours away from where I tap and live. So far for the year I have 4.75 gallons of Syrup and that does not include the near syrup from Friday's boil that I need to finish on the propane stove which will probably be another 3 gallons of Syrup. Sap Sugar content has been very good for me this year not sure on exact but we had one batch from 2 weeks ago that figured out to be just over 3 percent. We are pulling taps this Saturday, this week will probably not be as good as the last 2 weeks for sap run with the warmup over the past weekend and the snow storm coming Thursday, but overall been a very good season for my 3rd year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgreisch View Post
    Last week Friday I had collected 86 gallons on the 25 taps I have out. I had a lot of full buckets wonder how much more I would of had if I could of collected during the week instead of just on the weekends since I am 3 hours away from where I tap and live. So far for the year I have 4.75 gallons of Syrup and that does not include the near syrup from Friday's boil that I need to finish on the propane stove which will probably be another 3 gallons of Syrup. Sap Sugar content has been very good for me this year not sure on exact but we had one batch from 2 weeks ago that figured out to be just over 3 percent. We are pulling taps this Saturday, this week will probably not be as good as the last 2 weeks for sap run with the warmup over the past weekend and the snow storm coming Thursday, but overall been a very good season for my 3rd year.

I think you will have quite a bit to cook again. I emptied this bag on Sunday and it is showing that we had a fair run yesterday. I'm 50-60 miles south of you. Wittenberg area but I'm from Fond Du Lac. I pulled all my taps on Sunday but I left these 2 just to see what's going on up there with the trail cameras. I get a new picture every 4 hours.. Have fun.
    IMG_9735.jpg
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast