+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Steam Tray Budget Evaporators - New Size Double Pans

Default Steam Tray Budget Evaporators - New Size Double Pans

I am about as budget as you can get with my block arch and three full size steam pans. Making it an almost 2x3
    They worked great and were able to blow off 50 gallons of sap in a day. Was looking to increase in size a little and add another full size pan. From 2x3 to 2x4
    Discovered that they now have a new "Double Size Steam Pan" twice as large (in width as full size pan) This can be a simple way for beginners/small operations to get started. Only 60 bucks.
    So for all the steam pan guys out there has anybody used a "Double Steam Pan" in their evaporators ? Any disadvantages ?

Specs below.

Length 25 9/16 Inches
    Width 20 7/8 Inches
    Depth 8 Inches or 4 inches
    Capacity 60.7 qt. for 8 inch
    Color Silver
    Features Anti-Jam Corners
    Gauge 22 Gauge
    Size Double
    Stainless Steel Type Type 300

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vol...22V211001.html

Any ideas , theories , suggestions appreciated.

If you shop for the steam pans on Amazon you can fin full size 6" deep pans for less than 20 per pan.

I managed to get 5 pans in my oil tank evaporator. They get the job done.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Webstaraunt.com (check spelling) has them around 13$. Full size, not the double wide. I got sick of using a ladle so just upgraded to a 2x6.

Yes those of us with steam pans become expert ladelers. Thats why i figured the double size pans would make that a little easier. Might try one this year. I am a little worried about warping with the double size though.

Your surface area for a double pan is more than twice a single... Some area is lost between pans at the rim. Also have less area to block between pans. I had five pans, and set up plates in between, layed a perlite/ clay concrete around them to keep the heat at the bottom. I never fired it up that way as I got the CDL pan a few days later. I still use one pan for preheating, since I already had the brick arch built and it fit. I would give this double a consideration, not bad surface area pan for the money.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

My pans lay down on the block. This exposes the sides to the fire and heat. Really gets boiling hard, but do get scorching on the sides. Doesn't seem to affect flavor but syrup is dark. Each pan acts as s large drop flue almost. The double sized pan will cut back on the scorching some. Well see. Deep freeze is coming.

Looks like those double pans are only 4" deep. Sometimes the 6" full size pans don't seem deep enough when I get a good boil going.

They have an 8" deep double one but not a 6". I dont know if that will sit too far down into my block evaporator or not. But it holds a lot of sap 60 qts. to the top running it half full would still be 30 qts. But a lot of surface area compared to a standard pan.

Overall Dimensions:
    Length: 25 9/16"
    Width: 20 7/8"
    Depth: 8"
    Brim-Full Capacity: 60.7 quarts

Where did you find those pans? I can only find 4" deep
    2018 -12 taps 8 vacuum 4 gravity/RO = 3 gallons syrup
    2019 - 20 taps upgraded vacuum system/RO = goal 7 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg20 View Post
    Where did you find those pans? I can only find 4" deep
    Webstaurant store.. bought the 8 inch deep double.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vol.../92292082.html

The picture shows the 4 inch one. But rest assured you get the 8 inch deep
    It's a big one. Well see how it works out his year. 80 bucks delivered

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast