+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Steam Tray Budget Evaporators - New Size Double Pans

The best thing to use to clean your pans is distilled white vinegar. You can dilute with water (or not) and heat it up and let it soak. That will remove all kinds of nitre build up, minor scorching etc. Then triple rinse afterwards.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by DRoseum View Post
    The best thing to use to clean your pans is distilled white vinegar. You can dilute with water (or not) and heat it up and let it soak. That will remove all kinds of nitre build up, minor scorching etc. Then triple rinse afterwards.
    Would I need to use the vinegar to remove the hidden soap residue, or if I power wash them, that would suffice, I quadruple rinsed them after using the dish soap.

Strange the soap sticks so hard to the pans, as we all wash our stainless steel cooking pots in the kitchen with soap and water and don’t notice it in our food.

Because of this I will triple power wash my collection barrels again, just to make sure there is no soap residue in them, although I really rinsed them well before. I have two new barrels I will get on October 30th and will be able to wash them well on November 1st.

The double sized steam pans seem to be pretty terrific if you can get them. If I did not have my steam pans, I would consider getting them. Having said that, if I find that my boiling time is my bottle neck this coming season, I think my next major investment would be for a 2x4 pan with a runoff valve and thermometer. That will be around $500 Cdn.

The double sized steam pans seem to be pretty terrific. If I did not have my steam pans, I would consider getting them. Having said that, if I find that my boiling time is my bottle neck this coming season, I think my next major investment would be for a 2x4 pan with a runoff valve and thermometer. That will be around $500 Cdn. I did try to Google the double pans, 8” deep, but could not find them.

All double size steam pans deeper than 4 inches have been discontinued by the manufacturers. There is some availability in Europe, UK and Italy, but shipping makes it not worth it.

You are right that a 2x4 divided or hybrid pan would be best best move (other than a small DIY RO) if you want to maximize your taps and time.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post

Strange the soap sticks so hard to the pans, as we all wash our stainless steel cooking pots in the kitchen with soap and water and don’t notice it in our food.
    You will be fine with the triple rinse. There is a small soap paranoia on this forum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456