+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steam Tray Budget Evaporators - New Size Double Pans

Hybrid View

They have an 8" deep double one but not a 6". I dont know if that will sit too far down into my block evaporator or not. But it holds a lot of sap 60 qts. to the top running it half full would still be 30 qts. But a lot of surface area compared to a standard pan.

Overall Dimensions:
    Length: 25 9/16"
    Width: 20 7/8"
    Depth: 8"
    Brim-Full Capacity: 60.7 quarts

Where did you find those pans? I can only find 4" deep
    2018 -12 taps 8 vacuum 4 gravity/RO = 3 gallons syrup
    2019 - 20 taps upgraded vacuum system/RO = goal 7 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg20 View Post
    Where did you find those pans? I can only find 4" deep
    Webstaurant store.. bought the 8 inch deep double.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vol.../92292082.html

The picture shows the 4 inch one. But rest assured you get the 8 inch deep
    It's a big one. Well see how it works out his year. 80 bucks delivered

I use 4 of the doubles that are 8" deep and I love them. I have a very large pan that I bent and welded up myself but the stainless sheet that I used is closer to .063" thick and it takes a tad longer to get it going and with the stainless but around the top I added as a handle it is heavy. I love them all. I was a little disheartened on one of my boils when I noticed the sides warping during the boil. However, once I was done and the pans cooled they returned to their original, perfect shape. I had two then I bought two more last year when I thought they were discontinuing that size. I use them all. I don't need any more but I'm glad to see that they are still available. Mine are Volraith and I bought mine on Amazon. Don't remember what I paid.

Good to hear that u had sucess with double pans. But you say you run 4 of them. Thats 8 foot long. Or 4x4 depending how u have it setup.
    Any input on your setup is appreciated sounds interesting.

I'm having a hard time finding the Vollrath double pans (roughly 2' x 2' x 8"). My old sources either say discontinued or don't list them at all. I'm pretty sure the model number was 92082. I have 4 of them - some of them are showing their age and use and I was thinking of buying a couple more as spares or for a new arch I'm considering designing. If anyone has purchased these recently, could you share your source? Thanks.

Conocheague

I need some advice from anyone that boils in steam pans. I just built an evaporator out of a file cabinet which I have yet to use. I have 2 used full size 4" steam pans and a new 6" deep pan and 1 small 1/3 size pan. The top of the evaporator is only about 12" wide, but I can fit the 2 normal sized pans end-to-end and the 1/3-sized pan over the opening. I was planning on using the 1/3 sized as a prewarmer in the back and the 2 normal sized pans for boiling. What would be the best way to fill/load the 2 boiling pans? Should I just transfer sap from the prewarmer pan to the other 2 big pans individually, or would it be better to transfer sap to 1 big pan and then the next big pan, essentially using 1 as a boiling pan and the other as a finisher. I can post some pictures later if it would help.
    Thanks
    Evap.jpgsteam pan evap.jpg
    Last edited by Openwater; 02-04-2021 at 05:57 PM.
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

I boil on a block arch with steam table pans. My back pan closest to the stack always boils the hardest. My front pan, nearest the door, seems to be the last to reach a fast boil - probably because it looses temperature when I add wood.

I do like the look of your set-up, using the old file cabinet. Have you lined it with fire brick? You will have to keep us posted on how well it does.
    2024 - 16 taps - buckets on our best producing trees, still boiling on a block arch with slight modifications/refinements over the years.
    2021 - 25 taps - all buckets
    2013-2020 - 30/41 taps: discovering which trees were the best producers
    2012 - First year - 21 taps in our backyard - block arch evaporator with 3 steam table pans!

+ Reply to Thread