+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farm Insurance for Small Maple Syrup Producers

Default Farm Insurance for Small Maple Syrup Producers

Good afternoon all!

I have been a member for a while and read a lot if things on here, but this is my first time to post anything, so I apologize if I am a bit unclear on what I am asking. I have read through the other insurance threads and got some good information, but my questions is a bit more specific, so here it goes.

I have made syrup the last 3 years (this is my 4th), getting bigger each year. This year I started a farm (sole proprietor) to try and recoup some of my investment moving forward and get the tax advantages of the costs. This year I built a sugar shack and added quite a bit of infrastructure to get ready for more growth in the future, as I am hoping to produce around 40 gallons or so. I called my insurance agent (currently only homeowners/vehicle/personal liability) and asked what we could do to add a farm policy to my current plan (Erie). He made some calls to the underwriter and they refused to add a rider to the policy since there would theoretically be "food consumption", so my agent is stating that I will have to open a full commercial policy including liability. Also, Erie states they will not renew my policy unless I provide proof of commercial coverage due to the increase in liability. The quote for $5,000 in contents (okay for now, will need raised in the future) and $300,000 liability is $530 per year, so needless to say I am a bit taken back since I am looking to gross about $3,000 this year.

If this is necessary, I will eat it, but I didn't know if you guys/gals had some similar situations that you may be able to shed some light on for me. Can I get a separate policy through another company out of my area? If so, any suggestions? Should I start shopping again for a total bundle?

I really appreciate any thoughts in advance! Sorry for the long post, I just am a bit set back here, and it is getting super close to go time here in WV! I included a picture for reference if that could help.

Kody

Shack 1.jpg

I just took out a food liability policy $300 a year for 2 million dollar limit

Quote Originally Posted by kboone1 View Post
    Good afternoon all!

I have been a member for a while and read a lot if things on here, but this is my first time to post anything, so I apologize if I am a bit unclear on what I am asking. I have read through the other insurance threads and got some good information, but my questions is a bit more specific, so here it goes.

I have made syrup the last 3 years (this is my 4th), getting bigger each year. This year I started a farm (sole proprietor) to try and recoup some of my investment moving forward and get the tax advantages of the costs. This year I built a sugar shack and added quite a bit of infrastructure to get ready for more growth in the future, as I am hoping to produce around 40 gallons or so. I called my insurance agent (currently only homeowners/vehicle/personal liability) and asked what we could do to add a farm policy to my current plan (Erie). He made some calls to the underwriter and they refused to add a rider to the policy since there would theoretically be "food consumption", so my agent is stating that I will have to open a full commercial policy including liability. Also, Erie states they will not renew my policy unless I provide proof of commercial coverage due to the increase in liability. The quote for $5,000 in contents (okay for now, will need raised in the future) and $300,000 liability is $530 per year, so needless to say I am a bit taken back since I am looking to gross about $3,000 this year.

If this is necessary, I will eat it, but I didn't know if you guys/gals had some similar situations that you may be able to shed some light on for me. Can I get a separate policy through another company out of my area? If so, any suggestions? Should I start shopping again for a total bundle?

I really appreciate any thoughts in advance! Sorry for the long post, I just am a bit set back here, and it is getting super close to go time here in WV! I included a picture for reference if that could help.

Kody

Attachment 19184
    If Farm Family is in your area I've had good luck and reasonable prices with them.Never heard anything bad from anyone

Check around, you can do better than that.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Find out if you can get Co-Operative insurance in your area. They specialize in farm and agricultural insurance. I have all of my policies through them and they are reasonably priced.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Check around, I ran into the same thing.
    My homeowners do not do food type coverage either.
    So I looked around and found a good one for right at $300 per year.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Check into the WV Maple Syrup Producers Association, They are a great resource, some have probably been in your shoes already- and will be glad to share info, too hard to do everything else in this industry by yourself.

I'm tappin and boiling in OH just across the river- but born and raised in Salt Rock WV down south of Huntington.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

If they are in your area check with Farm Family. Had them for years an they cover my whole farm with product coverage plus all my autos They paid on a couple of real bazaar claims here with no problem. one being a 1500 gallon poly sap tank rolling into the side of my pickup truck. Long story!
    3x10 Dallalre, oil fired, Stainless steel.
    Steam hoods front and rear with preheater.
    1500 taps on vac, right to sugar house.
    900 on Gravity
    New Busch 3 Phase Vacuum. (2010)
    Lapierre 600 Turbo with 2 - 8" posts
    36 years of MAPLE ENJOYMENT!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...93710737313171

When you find a company who does farm insurance think hard about your liability limit. If you ever had a claim, 300,000 does nothing. I carry 2 million. It should be enough to insulate you from liability. Just think about law suits you read about in the paper and see on the news. Like the "lady" who got burned because she put a cup of hot coffee in her lap while driving and got burned when it spilled. You need to realize that judges do not throw out enough cases when the one suing was just stupid. Like Forrest Gump said, you can't fix stupid.
    You want to be protected so the one making the suit does not just go after you once the limit has been met.
    On my 2 mil. policy I don't pay as much as you were quoted for $300,000. You will find also that the price between a $300,000 policy and $2 million will be very little. I have $2 mil liability and if that is used up, I also have a $2 mil blanket policy (and both combined total less than what your quote was). It is all based on what you have to lose. We are in different states and you will need to find a company licensed in WV.
    You also need to realize that you do not even need to be at fault to be sued.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks, everyone! I will definitely check into Farm Family, as well as any leads I can get from the WV Maple Syrup Producers Assoc, I do know a few people very involved so that is a great call. I also will check into the Co-Op, have some Farm Bureau people close as well and will try them for any ideas.

Maple Flats, on the limits, I would never think a $300,000 limit as practical, but I was just showing how crazy I thought that was. I will be looking at a $2 million business alongside my personal 2 million. You are 100% correct, price differences just aren't that much, agree completely!

Thanks again everyone, this is a huge help in the right direction.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast