+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RO on generator

Default RO on generator

Wondering how many people run their RO's by generator?
    Did they have any issues with motors burning out quicker?
    How big of a generator should I be looking at for a 22amp RO?
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Look at the start up surge amp rating on the RO and get a generator at least double that, not the genny surge rating but the continuous amp rating. Then if using few other hi draw items when you start the RO. If you have other hi amp draw things, start them after the RO. If you have lots of other electric draws, calculate the generator needs for those and add them to your 44 A you need for the RO. Remember, to use the appropriate voltages. 10A at 120V is 5A at 240V. You do not need to double everything, just the RO.
    Last edited by maple flats; 01-15-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for input.
    Memprotec 350H RO

I never met a generator that I didn't burn up. Or a pump for that matter!
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    I never met a generator that I didn't burn up. Or a pump for that matter!
    Problem is that gets expensive in a hurry.
    Memprotec 350H RO

Size it right and it won't burn up. I have 3 generators from before I had grid power at my sugar House, a gas, 5500 watt bought in 1998, a diesel 6000 watt bought in 2008 and a 15,000 watt bought in 2012, the first two still run well, the big one has never even had any fuel in it. That is just for emergencies if the grid goes down during the maple season. It is bigger because my RO was converted from Gas to electric. (no, none are for sale). If you ask a generator to work routinely near capacity it will fail early.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I was half joking of course, but I have burned up a generator engine. And for pumps, I've seen some expensive failures on construction sites but usually ones that are pushing alot dirtier liquids than sap. I concur with Maple Flats that generators should be oversized which is a good rule for pumps and some other pieces of equipment.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread