+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filtering Alternatives

Default Filtering Alternatives

After a fellow mapler (Thanks Scott) helped me re-process, filter and re-bottle much of last year's harvest (about 10 gallons), I definitely am convinced that I need to step it up from my cone setup (Yes I use sailor hat fold). None of the options are very affordable.

The default is to save up, follow suit and buy a filter press.. which in longer term may be wise. It all depends on how much more, if any, I grow in capacity.

I am waiting on a quote from CDL on the vacuum filter presses, but also thought of improvising water filtration cartridges. Wondering if other folks have tried? Seems to me they would offer a greater surface area than even plates.

Meanwhile, I had thought from many folks here, that the nitre came out of solution after cooling from a boil, which is why you cool and then re-heat. With the press, I am told you just add the DE to the syrup right away, still very hot, and filter away. Does the DE work at such a fine particulate size that it does not need to cool?
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

I use a flat filter, wool and 4 or 5 papers in a basket over a pot and filter straight off the pan. I have not had sediment or cloudy syrup. Are you using both a wool and paper?
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Yes, I am using the orlon filter, along with pre-filters. I certainly have gotten nitre out of it, and I run it through a couple of times. The syrup is pretty clear, but I always have a slight amount on bottom of bottles after a couple weeks. Last year, I decanted, and re-did a few cases, and it was much better. This year the amount was worse, and I don't want to keep re-doing it. If I don't have an improvement initially, I will store it in 5 gallon glass carboys, and decant from those since I can see and avoid sediment.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

After rinsing out the orlon, did you wring it out, or let it drip dry? Your wool filter may be damaged and letting "stuff" through.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
    After rinsing out the orlon, did you wring it out, or let it drip dry? Your wool filter may be damaged and letting "stuff" through.
    Hmmm.. Typically I just rinse with hot water from sink sprayer, invert it do it again, then back to normal and rinse again takes a while until it appears clean. I don't wring it out to dry, as I always heard it was best to keep them wet before using.
    But you have me wondering about hidden damage, maybe from repeated use and rinsing. How would I know, and how to rejuvenate it? Thanks for the help.

I don't think the fibers are fixable. Try a new one and see what happens is all I can say. I got a 36 in flat and cut it in quarters so I would have back ups and all are marked with a laundry pen so I only filter one direction. Been using the same felt since I started but it is looking a bit stained so I will start a new one this season.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."

You may want to look at a 5" filter press from Daryl Sheets. I really like mine and am glad that chipburner and paddy mtn talked me into it. I believe that they are about $800 or so but with 48 taps perhaps he would sell a press with less plates for less price, not sure. When I have less than 5 gallon to filter through mine, I only use half of my plates. Daryl is on here sometimes, maybe he will jump in.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Yes, that it the default I mentioned, and the one Scott demo'd. Really liked it, but wondering about less costly alternatives- still meeting quality. I very well may go that route, but cash-wise may wait until mid march. That may be OK if I just store my syrup at first.

Until you can get your filter press, mountainvan uses filter aid with a flat filter. http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...860#post254860
    I have never tried it but supposedly it works well.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

I will be at the Ct. meeting this Saturday to put on a session with the 5” press
    Home of the machined 5 X 5 Hand Filter Presses Made in the USA
    Chairman of Lake Erie Maple Expo
    Dealer for DSD Stars, MemProTec RO'S, SUNRISE METAL SHOP, Bosworth Pumps
    Becker Vacuum Pumps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast