+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sap collecting - neighborhood and the minivan

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
    Did you put blocks on the peddles so they could drive? lol
    No the truck has the pedals that come up towards the driver. A very nice feature to let them loose on the highway with a ton of sap on the truck. Amazing what to girls can get into!
    That was taken last spring and it was almost 70 degrees that day. Which did not do our season and good.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

IMG_1414.JPG Better than the alternative!

Thanks Ed R - this is the kind of info I was fishing for!

I've been collecting in 6.5 gallon brewing buckets at each tree and dumped them into 18 gallon Sterilite totes stacked in my deep freeze, since I just had those things lying about. The totes are #5 (polypropylene) plastic and food safe.

There are submersible pumps on amazon that are like 10-15 bucks. Buy the tubing/hose and it is powered by 12v (car battery) much easier than hauling, dumping. Good to get a boil on it right away if if you do just shut it off. Kills bacteria. If your tank is up high you can siphon it off too.

Hi- For the small number of trees, I wouldn't mess with any big thing like a 55 gallon drum. We use cooking oil totes for moving sap around. These are plastic jugs with a molded handle, a screw cap, and contain about 4.5 gallons or so. They come in a cardboard box that protects the plastic, but the cardboard no doubt will get wet and fall apart. You can get them free from anywhere chicken is fried, or French fries. (perhaps the deli at your local grocery store uses them), I know some burger joints like 5Guys use them. Its easier to move 10 of these than a 55 gallon drum, if you don't have a forklift or a team of big guys. And when you fill them, use a funnel with as wide a nozzle as possible. And the screw cap keeps them from sloshing in the minivan and is easier to open than a bucket lid that has been sealed.

The totes require complete cleaning. Drain them upside down for a few hours in a warm room to get as much shortening or oil out of them as possible. Then to clean, put a drop of Dawn detergent in, add about 2 quarts of very hot water, and shake vigorously. Let them set a while. Then shake again. Drain out the water and repeat with Dawn a few times. Then just repeat with very hot water. You can stick a finger down inside the port, and see if the inside of the tote feels greasy. If so, repeat with Dawn again. I have to do about 10 shakes to get them the way I want, but you also need to rinse with hot water to get rid of the Dawn smell.
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12