+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What size hole is best for DSD saddles?

Default What size hole is best for DSD saddles?

Recently purchased 200 saddles to replace current leaky ones,as well as use on all future installs. Current saddles I drilled a 31/64” hole in mainline,now with DSD saddles I can go all the way down to 5/16”. Tried both on a scrap of mainline in the house, thinking smaller hole might be better? All lines have a maximum of 5 taps on them,5/16” tubing on high vacuum. Thanks
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

The DSD saddles work great. I installed a ton of them last year and used 5/16 holes. But the DSD saddles come with a little white washer that can be flipped around and used on a bigger hole. Only reason I used the 5/16 hole is because the mainline drill that I bought came with the 5/16 bit. Just gotta watch when you tighten the clamp. If you tighten them too much it starts to oval the mainline. I found that snugging it up so that the black barbed fitting dosnt wiggle. Then turning the fitting to where I want it facing for lateral connection then snug it up some more. Just enough not to oval the mainline.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I got 25 of them to try out this year. I am real curious on how well they work out for me.

42DB7FB2-3570-4CC4-BE07-83DE47163EA7.jpgThey work great. Just make sure the white washer didn’t end up in the snow and that you open up the clamp and go under the mainline
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 01-13-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I first tried them 4 seasons ago and have used no others since. I've only ever used saddles needing a 5/16 hole, but the DSD saddle wants the white washer flat side down for 5/16 and the other side down for bigger holes. On all new holes the 5/16 works great. DSD also makes a 5/16 mainline drill bit, short enough that it can not drill thru the back side, what a huge improvement. That bit is made for plastic and does not walk when you start to drill. That and a cordless drill are your best way to put a hold for new saddles. As others have said, don't over tighten the clamp. You also want to use size specific saddles, while a 1" will tighten down to a 3/4" mainline, the pressure for the seal is not direct on the gasket and it does not work as well as a 3/4" on 3/4", a 1" on 1" and so forth.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have been thinking of trying these saddles. Do you ever have to retighten them? How much do they cost?

Spud

Dave,did you go 5/16” because that was the main line punch size you had? I have a jig made up with a 31/64” brad point drill bit,only practiced on a scrap of mainline so far,but finding the larger hole doesn’t seem to oblong the pipe since the washer “ nipple” is down in the hole.
    1250 taps on cv adapters

This will be our 2nd year with them. Didn’t have to retighten any last year. But I keep a ratchet in my pail of goodies when I’m walking the lines just in case. You can check them by trying to move the barbed fitting. If it moves in the saddle it’s not tight enough.
    They come in 90 degree and straight.
    I like the 90 degree ones because it gives a backing to use the 1 hand tool.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Hi Spud,this will be my first year with them. Ordered 200 of them at the Open House last April,got them for $2.30 each (Canadian) after some light negotiations
    1250 taps on cv adapters

+ Reply to Thread