+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Tapping

Default 2019 Tapping

Tapping in SE KY has begun this week. The weather looks good over the next few days. I hope everyone has a great season!
    Jeremy Williams
    "In the deep dark hills
    of Eastern Kentucky."

I hope you have a good season. I plan on tapping towards the end of the week. Hopefully the weather will be better than it has been.
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

Was hoping some of this rain /40-degree temperature would cause some flow (after the recent cooler weather), I have three 3/16's runs in my woods, and they have barely given me a drip this week.

The one tree beside my house / the only one on a bucket is the only one giving me any sap lol.

Well, I’ve been wondering if they would run any. I’ve ran some new woods with the 3/16 tubing this year and will tap this week. Tomorrow, I’m going to start converting my best woods to the 3/16 tubing. These woods have done good in the past. There is a lot of drop from the top to the bottom of the hollow, so it should do real good with the 3/16. Last year I tapped on the 13th of Jan.
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

It's been slow going here, only collected 1-1/4 gallon over the past two days. I do have one tree that was my best producer last year (averaged about 2 gallons a day), I have gotten a gallon from it and as of yesterday it was still flowing.
    Woody Hartlove

MAPLE ON DUDE!

We started tapping 1/8/19....We expected to see more sap, but trees are acting oddly. We tap on 2 separate farms. We collected 44 gallons from 48 taps at one farm, and only 12 gallons from 60 taps at the other on 1/10. We hoped the trees would be running today, but not enough to collect. Is this odd?

We tapped about half of our trees last night in northern ky. We will plan on tapping the rest after this weekend's hard freeze. Good luck everyone! We are trying a new method of collecting this year so I really hope to come away this year with even more syrup. We used to hang milk jugs but sometimes they would blow off or be overflowing. This year we bought some tubing and I've been getting free foodgrade buckets from the local krogers bakery dept so the tubing runs directly to the buckets. We're hoping to eliminate lost sap...time will tell

Flow has been spotty here in SE KY. Using buckets has been slow for those that are using them. For those that are on tubing, especially 3/16, for the most part flow has been good. The freeze this past weekend caused things to stop but hopefully this warm day or two will allow things to pick up.
    Jeremy Williams
    "In the deep dark hills
    of Eastern Kentucky."

Tapping here in Tennessee today. Tubing to buckets. Hopefully get everything in before the hard freeze the next couple of days. Good luck neighbors to the north!!

I hope your season goes great! Keep us updated!
    Jeremy Williams
    "In the deep dark hills
    of Eastern Kentucky."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast