+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Tapping

We are tapping Black Walnuts and Butternuts as an experiment in Pike County, KY. Didn't have enough time this year to get my trees identified and tubing ran for the Maples. We are going to try next year.

Keep us updated on your sap flow and syrup. I know of a few people in Letcher and Floyd Counties that are tapping walnut. If you're on Facebook, check out the Kentucky Maple Syrup Association page. Happy sugaring!
    Jeremy Williams
    "In the deep dark hills
    of Eastern Kentucky."

I made the switch to tubing and buckets about 4 years ago. You definitely will collect more sap but the coons really like to play in the buckets. Sometimes they even turn them over.
    Leader 1/2 pint - Kawasaki Mule - Smoky Lake Filter Bottler
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump
    2013 - 44 taps - 16 gallons syrup, 2014 - 109 taps - 26 gallons syrup
    2015 - 71 taps - 13.5 gallons syrup, 2016 - 125 taps - 24.25 gallons syrup
    2017 - 129 taps - 17.5 gallons syrup, 2018 - 128 taps- 18 gallons syrup
    2019 -130 taps - 18.5 gallons syrup, 2020 ~125 taps-19.75 gallons syrup

We were able to get 97 maple taps this year in Pike County, KY. Collected 155 gallons this Monday and Tuesday. 87 are on 3/16 gravity and 10 bags.

Not sure how many of you know about saptapapps.com. I was introduced to this page a couple weeks ago and love the tools. It has a flowcaster app, and a log app for logging your sap collections. There is also a section to let you see sap collecting activity on a world map from other members.

Also, If you live in Kentucky please check out The Kentucky Maple Syrup Association. The Maple industry is growing in Kentucky and the KMSA is a great way to keep up to date with whats happening in Kentucky maple.

Not a Kentuckian , but an intruder to the KY thread. Welcome to the site and thanks for the app info. I put in 16 taps Monday. Checked 4 of them and had right at 5 gallons on Tuesday. Hoping for epic flow starting tomorrow. Thoughts??

So what do you do when your trees are froze?

Check out a new website for sugarmakers. I just got done checking out saptapapps.com. This is a really cool app and can be personalized. It has a lot of useful content and a place to keep a record of your sap collections. High would encourage everyone to use it. Thanks James Sword for recommending it, it is defiantly worth the time to check out.
    Woody Hartlove

MAPLE ON DUDE!

It was the first thing I search for when started tapping last year. Great for logging your sap and to see what others are doing around you
    2018 -12 taps 8 vacuum 4 gravity/RO = 3 gallons syrup
    2019 - 20 taps upgraded vacuum system/RO = goal 7 gallons

Should I be worried about all these warm temps? I would be disappointed if the season ended this soon...

I certainly am. Bet its gonna be a short one. Great flow the last couple of days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast