+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berks County anyone?

Default Berks County anyone?

Hello!

Is there anyone on the forum from the Berks County area?

I am new to this forum and new to maple sugaring. I just purchased a property in Bern Township that I believe has about 15 sugar maple trees. Hopefully I will learn enough to make some of my own maple syrup over the next few months.

Steve

Steve, welcome. I'm from Mifflin County. You have found the forum that will give you all the information that you need to successfully make maple syrup.

As far south as you are, I think you may have a run or two in the next few weeks. What all supplies/equipment do you have? How do you plan to collect sap? Then how do you plan to boil it?

I believe that there is someone on here from the Lancaster area but can not think of his name.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Welcome Steve!

I will be planning on tapping in the next week or so. I don't think we are too far away from the perfect sap running weather. At least not in this corner of the state. I'm in Chester County.

Looks like it is going to freeze up for the next week or so and then I would bet it will start running off and on for the next month or so. But, all that said this winter has been confusing so who knows at the end of the day what will really happen.
    Adam

2016: 6 Taps and a propane turkey fryer
    2019: 51 Taps on 3/16 gravity tubing
    Homemade Oil Tank Evaporator
    Badgerland by Smokey Lake 2x4 divided pan

Thank you both for the welcome!

Matt, I don't have any equipment. I am trying to figure out now what I need to buy. It is a bit confusing if I should go with buckets or drop lines. I have to figure that out fast and order whatever I need. I planned to use two turkey fryers to boil it down the majority of the way.

Adam, Thanks for the info on when to tap. For me it will all depend on how fast I can get the supplies to do it. Hopefully I can get the supplies and don't miss it this year.

Steve,

Your welcome. While all the extra stuff is nice, I made lots of great syrup my first year with just a single turkey and a regular candy thermometer... No need for a hydrometer and such. They are nice to have but definitely not necessary.

Also, if appearances aren't important I would just go with tubing and drops. Last time I looked it is cheaper that way. Taps are $0.19 and a roll of tubing is $45 . And worst case home Depot has food grade buckets and lids for $7 ish...
    Adam

I was able to get food grade buckets and lids at Lowes for about $7.50 each. The rest of what I need (I think) is on order.

I wish I would have started this earlier. I have a section of my property that has some nice sized sugar maples on it that are coming down in a week for my driveway. If I had the spouts now I could practice on them and who knows, maybe get something out of them.

Nice! Sounds like you are well on your way. I have one tree tapped in the front yard right now just as my indicator tree to let me see how the sap is flowing. It definitely has been running a bit the last week or so. I don't think it will run at all for the next week or maybe even a bit longer so it might be too late by then for those trees of yours. But if it does warm up enough then by all means tap the heck out of them if they are coming down anyways!
    Adam

Adam I would be curious to see when you start up. If you don't mind letting me know I would appreciate it!!!

I work at a hospital and just thought to contact the café for additional food grade buckets. So I have more buckets on the way.

Score on getting some more buckets!

I will definitely post here when I start. I was thinking of tapping soon, but now it looks like we might be all frozen up here for a while... There might be a couple days that will run but it's been a bit cooler during the day than what has been forecasted.

My new Smoky Lake pan should be here tomorrow so at least I'll have a little while to finish setting it up and do a test boil while I'm waiting.
    Adam

Default Berks County anyone?

Hey! I don’t get on the trader much anymore, so I’m just seeing your post. I used to live near the blue marsh canteen, now I’m in Birdsboro. Would be glad to help you along in this adventure. I have the first pan I used if you’re in need of something to boil on. Feel free to give me a call or text me.
    610-488-8194. Good lock, Pat.

Ps. Pardon the messed up post. Tapatalk messes up apostrophes and commas.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast