+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 /16th tubing preference

Default 5 /16th tubing preference

Anyone leaning a certain direction when purchasing new 5 /16th tubing? which tubing company and type of tubing do you choose? many options nowadays....

We've used it all. Semi-rigid has been best for us and we've used CDL, Lapierre and D&G with no clear preference other than price!

I would recommend you get 10-year and not pay the extra for 15 year. Most producers replace theirs much sooner that 15 years (we replace on a 10 year cycle) so its not worth the premium IMO.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I have used lapierre and leader. I definatly prefer the leader. I have had both side by side and over time I got a sag in the lapierre and the leader stayed true

I to have tried it all. My latest preference is D&G semi-stiff (its a little stiffer than semi-rigid) for laterals and CDL semi-ridgid for drops. I have noticed my green tubing (multiple mfrs) tends to foul more visibly than blue

Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Default Drop replacement

only ask this as I am thinking about replacing my drops this year and need to purchase tubing. How often is everyone changing drops?

I change mine every 3 years. I also have used most if not all brands. I like the softer one for drops but don't buy it because they are harder to insert the fittings. I've used the hot end system, conventional tubing tools, mostly 2 hand, and the 2 hand LOAC tool. The LOAC by far works best but the softer tubing still goes slower building drops, for that reason alone, I use the stiffer for 5/16, but I still prefer the soft one with 3/16 for laterals, but all of my drops are using 5/16. My last batch of tubing was several coils of D&G, semi stiff, it worked well. Faster to make 500 drops with that than most others.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by devils11217 View Post
    only ask this as I am thinking about replacing my drops this year and need to purchase tubing. How often is everyone changing drops?
    Get the pre-cut drops! They are so much easier to work with. I use Lapierre 36" drops they are right around .30 each with out fittings. Depending on fittings you can get them with fittings for about .80-1.00 each. I get mine without fittings because I like one side plugged Ts. But its pre-cuts from here on out for me.
    Jared

Like everyone else I've used them all too. I like the CDL vision the best. It's easy to see through which making leak checking much easier. It's a little on the soft side so you have to be careful when you install the fittings but it seals well and stays on the fittings.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

My girlfriend cuts all my drops to size for me. She is a keeper!
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

One warning with the soft stuff is the squirrels love it. The softer is easier for you and the squirrels!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast