+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another ShurFlo 3/16 design question----Freezing pump concern and 12v

Default Another ShurFlo 3/16 design question----Freezing pump concern and 12v

Ive asked a lot of questions lately but here are 2 others.....

OK I am going to setup 2 Shurflo systems on my 2 properties, 1 of them is pretty flat and the other does have some slight elevation drop, but not enough that gravity is going to help me too much, so I decided to go with the pumps.

1) What do you all do with 12v setups to keep your pump from freezing? Is there anything I can do other than maybe wrapping the pump in insulation? Im going to use 12v deep cycle batteries to run the system, so putting a light bulb in the box to keep it warm enough doesnt seem practical as it would just drain the battery too fast.

2) I keep reading about air in the line issues and using a re-circulation line to eliminate the air.....no idea what that really means. Is it necessary, and how would I go about it?

Attached is a picture of what my box will look like. I tested it last night, all the parts. I have a Chinese temp controller, Shurflo 4008 12v pump, and will 4 3/16" lines coming into each setup with about 100 total taps on each setup.

Thanks!

Shurflo design.jpg
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

You might try tee-ing in an electric bypass valve to the pump inlet side. Set it up so the valve is open when pump is off. There may be a second contact on the temperature controller that can be used. But the bypass valve may consume some power depending on type used, and might not guarantee that sap is removed from the pump when it is off.

You might also take a look at the controller that I have on my website (bottom of message). The controller automatically purges sap from the pump before it is turned off, and allows any sap to bypass the pump. It allows the pump to stay outside in freezing temperatures without sustaining freeze damage, and does not need any other other protection like insulation or heat lights. Good for a remote location.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

I just set my Off temperature a couple of degrees below freezing and have not had a problem.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I do what Super Sapper does with my controller, but also have a small light bulb inside the plastic tote that houses my pump and manifold. No issues so far.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

littleTapper - What do you use for turn-on temperature setting? I have seen a blown pump fuse when experimenting a couple years ago (with total loss of a day's sap) from pump trying to turn on when frozen. This can happen if the turn-on setting is too low, or the temperature sensor gets early morning sun and heats up too quickly. Not an issue if using a heat lamp, but I don't have access to AC power.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging

I'm using one of the common 12v controller/thermostats off Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/outstanding...7XL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

I just ordered a shurflo pump yesterday but have still another question. on days where the sap has run well but evening temps are not going to go below freezing can you leave pump turned on? what if trees slow to a trickle over night will pump get damaged?
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

Yup, I have let mine run for 2-3 days straight in above freezing temps with a trickle or more of sap flowing, no problems so far. They are rugged little pumps as long as diaphragm is wetted and you have an inline strainer. I typically see 150-200 hrs of run time per season.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm

I actually have mine setup so it pulls vacuum on my 3/4 mainline with 100 taps, pulls 20" then it pushes the sap up to the sugarhouse about 8' of head if I had to guess, the pump has it's own internal pressure switch so when the line freezes up going to the sugarhouse the pump shuts off.

When the line thaws in the morning the pump turns on automatically. I've never had an issue using it this way. The pump works like this because they are designed for on demand use in a camper when you turn the faucet on the pump turns on. Pretty simple neat little pumps, I believe that the pressure can be adjusted so it comes on and off when you want, maybe you can make that work for you some how.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Where are buying the 1/2' MPT to 5/16" barb fittings? I can only find 1/4 barb at Lowes and Home Depot does not even have the 1/4".
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast