+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I unregister with the FDA?

Yup I tried it and it doesn't work. Your probably right about the shutdown
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Sorry I did not post the outcome of my original question. I did unregister @ the time I had posted my question. It was easy, I did get confirmation that I was unregistered and I have not been contacted by them since in any way. So I assume no news is good news...

Probably a good thing. The federal government doesn't help much, or any government for that matter. They just cost everyone money
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

No one cares about Maple farmers. Really, no one cares. I'm sure chicken, pork, beef - meat is a risky business to the public. No one ever died from maple syrup. Why in the world do we care about the federal government and maple syrup? It is hilarious that we think we're that important. We aren't. None of us. And thank Goodness!
    Make sure you check out our YouTube Channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/bissellmaplefarm

www.bissellmaplefarm.com

I started to register back when they first started, but never completed it because I read that smaller operations and those who sell over 50 of their crop retail did not need to register. I sell no bulk unless I end up with some commercial. The last time I had any was 3 yrs ago when I had 1 barrel full. Since then I've sold 100% at retail and never hit the $100,000 per year mark. At 300-400 gal production tops I'd need to get over $250 a gallon, not likely! Now after cutting back 200 gal might be my best years.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Back when we were registered with the FDA there was some amount of confusion of whether to register or not, or whether to un-register or not. I spoke with a Chief Inspector from the FDA about it to get some clarity for us. They were actually helpful. And I de-registered because one of the first questions they asked me was whether or not we sold more than 50 percent of our crop retail. We do. There was some other info I don't remember now, but the short of it for us was selling more than 50 percent retail did not require registering. I have long since deleted the email, but I was a bit incredulous and so asked the inspector to send me an email stating that was the case. They sent it to me right away. Couldn't believe it, but it happened.

I just received an email this week from the FDA about biennial registration renewal and remembered this thread. I cancelled my registration this morning.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12