+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mason 2x4 XL Operation

Hybrid View

Default Mason 2x4 XL Operation

Did a test boil (with water) yesterday on my new 2x4XL. 25 minutes from ice cold to full boil in all four channels, which I thought was awesome compared to my old 55gal barrel rig.
    My question is on shutdown. Obviously, once sweetened, the pan will be left alone until the next boil. But what do I do with the contents of the preheater pan if I'm out of time and need to shut down? Looks like the preheater will hold up to 5 gallons of sap, and I will be boiling concentrate @ 7-8%. On test boil yesterday, the preheater pan went up to 170 degrees. I don't think leaving 170 deg. concentrate in there overnight would be the right move. Do I flood the evaporator pan with whatever is left in the pre-heater pan? Do I need to drain the preheater and boil for a period of time in the pan before shutting down? Thanks for the help.

Id just flood the pan with the preheater sap if you are worried about it spoiling or something along those lines.

If the preheater isnt in direct contact with the flame it wont scorch or anything like that if you drain it.

Good luck!

-Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by UB29 View Post
    Did a test boil (with water) yesterday on my new 2x4XL. 25 minutes from ice cold to full boil in all four channels, which I thought was awesome compared to my old 55gal barrel rig.
    My question is on shutdown. Obviously, once sweetened, the pan will be left alone until the next boil. But what do I do with the contents of the preheater pan if I'm out of time and need to shut down? Looks like the preheater will hold up to 5 gallons of sap, and I will be boiling concentrate @ 7-8%. On test boil yesterday, the preheater pan went up to 170 degrees. I don't think leaving 170 deg. concentrate in there overnight would be the right move. Do I flood the evaporator pan with whatever is left in the pre-heater pan? Do I need to drain the preheater and boil for a period of time in the pan before shutting down? Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by SmellsLikeSyrupNH; 01-07-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

"The preheater isnt in direct contact with the flame so it wont scorch or anything like that if you drain it."

On the Mason XL the preheater is on the flame. Maybe drain the sap into the evaporator pan and then just add 5 gallons of water to the preheater, to be dumped when the evaporator is refired.
    Last edited by tombaisley; 01-09-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    2018 25 taps, two turkey fryers, 4 gallons
    2019 75 taps, Mason 2'x4, XL, 10'x12' shack
    2020 150 Taps Mason 2x4XL RO15 Bucket. no sugar%
    2021 250ish Taps Mason 2x4 XL RO 20 bucket , going to be busy, 40 gallons made
    2022 400ish taps 2x4 Smokey Lake Drop Flue single post 4x40 RO

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vZj2hHkXpKSBJqJFA

https://www.facebook.com/kelseybrook...FIVmIotuulHl4W

I just got a new 2x4 Mason XL this season. My shutdown plan (tentatively) is going to be to flood down the pan maybe an extra 1-2" and let that boil. Then once the boiling has pretty much stopped ill drain and immidately fill my preheater with water. The next time i start up, first step will be to establish the proper level in the evaporator (by draining sap side of pan), add the drain off back to the preheater, top off the preheater with raw sap and start the fire.

Well see how it goes i guess but thats the direction im headed in.

I have had a 2x4 mason for several years but no R/O. When I am ready to shut down I stop firing when pre heater is about 3/4 full and sap level in pan is about 1". by time the pre heater sap has slowly emptied into pan the depth will have increased to around 1 3/4". And when evaporator has fully cooled it will be down to around 1.5" or a bit less. Unless its getting real cold I leave concentrate in pan and if its getting into low teens I than empty it.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

Thinking along the same line as TomBaisley. On the 2x4 XL, preheater pan sits on top of the arch and is in direct contact with the flame; so if I dump contents into the pan will immediately need to refill with water to avoid scorching.
    Overall concern though, is that 8% concentrate that has only heated to 170 in the preheater and not had a chance to boil before shutdown. Looks like a) flood pan with whatever is left in preheater; b) put a few gallons of preferably permeate into preheater; c) boil down for ??? to allow the preheater contents to get some boiling time so it won't spoil when left in pan overnight.

I have a 2x3 with divided flat pan, and I let the preheater continue to trickle into the pan as everything is cooling down. I don't want to risk any scorching from low levels as it continues to eveperate on cool down. On a restart it will form a quadrant sooner then you think.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

+ Reply to Thread