+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning 3/16ths lines after the season

So at long last I scored some calcium hypochlorite for cleaning my lines and would like to know what the mix ratio should be for 5 gallons of water? Hot, warm, or cold water?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

It only takes a small amount and that's what I like about it.

The OP called for 1/8 tsp per Liter, so that's roughly 1/8 tsp per quart or just under a 1/2 tsp per gallon. As you increase the gallons, the gap between Liters and gallons widens a bit more. There are just about 19 L in 5 gallons, so that's nineteen 1/8 tsp - or 2 3/8 tsp.

You just reminded me I still have to give my drops a soak!
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Thanks, Sean...so I fill the lines and let them sit a couple days? Does water temp matter at the beginning?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

I forgot that part of the question. I just fill and mix with room temp or cool water. It would dissolve faster in warm/hot water, but it's best to keep the vapors down. Contact time is not days, it's minutes. I did it for 30 minutes because I was busy with other stuff, but I think the minimum is 10 or 15 minutes off the top of my head. It was in the Maple Syrup Digest from last December. Either way, there is no harm leaving it in there longer. UV and time eventually break it down just like sodium hypochlorite (bleach).

My lines come down in the spring, so that's when I do it, but the article recommended the fall because the chance of regrowth ofter sanitizing is minimized because of the cool/cold temps. My drops get sanitized now (behind schedule) and I store them in the sugarhouse for the off season.

Remember to let the first run flush your lines next spring.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350

Default 3/16 cleaning

I load my 3/16 systems with calcium hypochlorite at the end of the season and let it sit for a week, drain and then flush with water. I load from the top of the system using a shurflo sap pump which allows me also load the drops. I can load 750 taps on 8 systems in half a day. I have also used DSD Star .225 spouts on 3/16 for 5 years and have never had a plugged tee. However, I do get minute wood chips in the shurflo screens. So I suspect the smaller drill size produces small chips? My yields and grades have increased.Wash loading.jpg
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

I loaded my lines with calcium hypochlorite by pumping from the bottom up and pulling taps as the bleach came out. My shurflo 4008 pumped up about 80 feet to the top. Is there any harm to leaving the lines filled until fall and then flush with water? I know the calcium hypochlorite will beak down, but will the resulting lime deter bacteria/mold better then flushed lines?
    2019 50 aluminum buckets, selling sap. First year 19.7 gallons of syrup
    2020 130 on 3/16 tubing and 30 on aluminum buckets

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by VTNewbie View Post
    Is there any harm to leaving the lines filled until fall and then flush with water?
    No harm.

I know the calcium hypochlorite will beak down, but will the resulting lime deter bacteria/mold better then flushed lines?
    Once it breaks down there is no residual sanitizer action. It will not deter microbial growth after that.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by VTNewbie View Post
    I loaded my lines with calcium hypochlorite by pumping from the bottom up and pulling taps as the bleach came out. My shurflo 4008 pumped up about 80 feet to the top. Is there any harm to leaving the lines filled until fall and then flush with water? I know the calcium hypochlorite will beak down, but will the resulting lime deter bacteria/mold better then flushed lines?
    I didn't think the little Shurflo could push the liquid to the top of my lines. I thought I needed a bigger pump. Do you have a mainline to fill or do all your lines come into a manifold? Is the 80' the length or height of the lines you reached?
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350

I have a small manifold that hooks to my 3/16 laterals with 3/16 drops. The laterals range from 700 to 900 feet long and the top is about 80 feet above my storage tank/pump. By the time I'm at the top of my line the flow is going much slower but still making it. I was worried it wouldn't pump that high but was gladly surprised it worked. Lines are very tight with no apparent leaks.

Since there seems to be no benefit, I'll probably just drain the lines in a week or so of the calcium hypochlorite and be finished until next spring. I was hoping since lime is basic it would deter bacteria vs. a more neutral ph.
    2019 50 aluminum buckets, selling sap. First year 19.7 gallons of syrup
    2020 130 on 3/16 tubing and 30 on aluminum buckets

I noticed in this thread that some mentioned that they changed their drops to 5/16 and zapback spouts on their 3/16 laterals. Does this take away from the natural vacuum being created by the 3/16 line if you don't run it for the drops as well? Do they make a 3/16 zapback spout?

I also watched Art Krueger's video and he mentioned that changing the spouts on 3/16 yearly and using CV did not show advantages like it did in 5/16. I have been using CDL 3/16 maxflow spouts for several years and I have changed them yearly. It sounds like I might have been wasting my time doing so. Thoughts?

I have been following the research and practices on 3/16 sanitation for a few years now. At first it was recommended to flush the lines at minimum with water. I personally found that created algae in the lines which caused additional issue to deal with. I then tried food grade hydrogen peroxide but didn't see much benefit. Finally I ran across some information that suggested their was no benefit from sanitation at all and to pull the taps and let them drain and walk off. I have taken that approach for a couple of years and I have not seen much of a change in volume from previous years. Occasionally, I have a clogged T that I have to change but not often. I always let the first run flush the lines before collecting. I would love to put into practice good sanitation methods that are beneficial to production in 3/16 lines. Sounds like Calcium Hypochlorite might be the answer I was looking for. I would definitely like to hear thoughts on those that used it last year. I am always open to suggestions and new ideas. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast