+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Cleaning 3/16ths lines after the season

The reason for the 5/16 drops on 3/16 laterals is because during the freeze - thaw cycle and the temperature drops the tree develops a negative pressure. That causes the tree to pull sap back into the tree. The shuttling of sap back and forth in the drop, spout and tap hole contributes to bacteria growth. This pulling of the sap back in the tree is more evident with 3/16 drops.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Hi guys, I've read through the whole 7 pages and wondering about using what breweries and the wine industry use for cleaning and sanitation.
    3-stage is Precarbonate wash, followed by citric acid, to neutralize the base, with sulphur to sanitize, and finally a straight water rinse.
    Based off HD/LD polyethylene research, there is little to no reactivity to the plastic composition with these ingredients.
    The prementioned industries main concern within the food industry is bleach (and other forms) are not allowed, from my understanding.
    Last edited by WINDY Knoll; 12-29-2020 at 04:37 AM.

I have been cleaning my 3/16" tubing with white vinegar then star-san sanitizer for 3 years. Vinegar after pulling the taps then sanitizer before tapping the next season.

I have tried calcium hypochlorite for the first time today and Wow. There was a lot of gunk coming out. I'm not sure if it is impressing because of how well it works and how clean the laterals are or depressing because of how much I have been missing. I used a 1 gallon pump up sprayer with warm water and about 1/2 tsp chlorine, left it set until I got the next lateral filled then drained and flushed with warm water. I was surprised at how much gunk was in my lateral and drops and how clean they look now.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

I used bright colored electrical tape for a quick repair that I can find easily. Place it on tightly do several tight wraps and keep it in your pocket at all times. If that doesn't work a coupler but that's another place for sawdust and gunk to block the 3/16 line.

gbeneke, how well does the electrical tape work with the vacuum? Does it seal well in the cold? I have typically had a difficult time with electrical tape sticking when it is cold but if it is in a pocket inside your coat, it would be warmer and stick better. Good idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

If you use electrical tape do not use cheap off brand stuff. I use the Scotch 33 I think and have no problems in the cold. I have tried the cheaper stuff and it does not work well in the cold.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    If you use electrical tape do not use cheap off brand stuff. I use the Scotch 33 I think and have no problems in the cold. I have tried the cheaper stuff and it does not work well in the cold.
    Super 33+ is the only tape to use, ever, i used to install car electronics, as well as work on heavy equipment, and i have always loved that tape. the cheaper tapes will release their adhesives in colder weather, most of the time, it doesn't even have to be freezing.

Scotch 33 is good tape. Just took down our Christmas lights, reindeer, trees etc. I use it to seal off extension cord connections - think Clark Griswald here - and it's nearly impossible to find the end of the tape to unwrap, let alone pull it off the plug. You get what you pay for.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I have come up with a few questions concerning 5/16" drops used with 3/16" laterals. The first, I understand that the use of 5/16" tubing for drops is to reduce the amount of sap re-entering the tree in periods of negative pressure but is that simply to be greedy with the sap or to reduce bacteria that the sap has come in contact with once it enters the tubing? If the bacteria concept is the reason, wouldn't the use of 5/16" drops reduce sap re-entering the tree but instead have moist air enter the tap hole? And which (sap or moist air) would transfer bacteria in greater quantity? Also, does the 5/16" drops reduce the plugging of the tees when used with 3/16" laterals? I would think that it would be no different.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567