+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather effect on this years sap production(Southern IN)

Hybrid View

Default Weather effect on this years sap production(Southern IN)

Trying to figure out what to expect this season with how the weather has been. Considerably warmer temps around Evansville area. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Weather during season will be the main effect. Weather now has little correlation to spring sap flow

Yeah I'm curious as to when people are planning on tapping, the weather up here in nortwest Indiana seem like they are ideal right about now, but I'm nervous to tap this early

i have 30 taps in the Mitchell,IN area. Put them in 3 days ago and it’s not running well at all. The lines are 3/16 tube with a diaphragm pump. I think I’m going to not run the pump and let the lines gravity flow till it improves.

We've got 80 on 3/16" and another 20 on buckets. Ro'ed approx 300 gallons this weekend, boiled approx 80 gallons of concentrate.l Great way to try out our homemade RO. looking chilly for the next few days.

RO’ed another 130 gallons of sap Thursday night. Headed back to boil shortly.

Finished replacing taps today in the rain. Added a few, up to 155. May add another run, we’ll see.
    2014 - 30 taps
    2015 - 50 taps
    2016 - 140 taps
    2017 - 115 taps - 85 taps on 3/16, 30 buckets
    2018 - 150 taps, all 3/16

Smokey Lake 2x3
    Homemade 2x XLE-4040 RO Unit
    Kubota L3940 - big sap hauler
    Polaris Sportsman 570 SP - little sap hauler
    I'm 1:20 remote from sugarbush, so I let run awhile between boils, and time is at a premium, so I try to oversize things

Yeah, I'm hoping for a little consistancy with weather during time sap starts flowing. Your right, Mr. Thompson, I'm just getting antsy. Last year didn't tap until the 19th and had one of our best seasons. Like you, Mitchell tapper, we have it all on 3/16". All gravity though.

So, my big question. How long will the trees accept the perfect temps without starting to run and bud? I would think they would start budding before long

Looks like next Saturday I'll start setting taps. Might a few good days if the sun comes out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast