+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Barrel evaporator version 1

Default Barrel evaporator version 1, and version 2

So I am finally getting back into syruping after about 25 years. Due to some life events we had to scale back how big of an evaporator we are starting with. So I decided to build a test barrel evaporator to figure out what I wanted and to practice my tig welding on thin stainless. So I created this 18" × 30" evaporator. I definitely learned a lot. I plan on making mine 24"×32" plus a preheating pan that will be 24"×25".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by snakes14009; 02-02-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Well evaporator two is complete. Its was 12×28×6 1/2". I built it for a coworker, he was boiling on two cake pans over an open fire. He was very excited when I dropped it off today. His kids were pretty excited two. Which makes you happy to see after all the work. Now I finally get to complete my own evaporator. Just in time a good run should be starting tomorrow.

Nice work. Reminds me of my first one.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

So I finally got to work on my own evaporator it's a 4 channel divided pan, 24"×32" with 8" sides. I finished the insulation and bricking. I am now working on my preheater pan. And some facsimile of a good. I am trying to finished by this weekend.

Default Well it's not done but it is getting closer

The preheater pan is so high because I plan on making a good of some type. Because I am boiling outside. And I know I am not going to have great weather every time I boil. But so far I am bold about 5 gallons an hour. Not to bad for a cheap homemade job including pans.

+ Reply to Thread