+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Tapping Season - Connecticut

Hybrid View

Default 2019 Tapping Season - Connecticut

Happy New Year everyone!

I recall last season, tapping started very early, second week of January I believe. Now that it’s New Year’s Day and it’s 52 degrees out and the forecast does not show for freezing temperatures anytime soon, I was wondering if sugaring season is projected to start early again. Should Intap my trees in two weeks or wait until February? I’m located in Southwestern CT.

Anyone with insight would appreciated. Thank you!

Its good to be ready but I expect ol' man winter will set in before to long. If you tap in too early, the holes will prob dry up on you potentially in the prime part of the season. Last season, I tapped at the end of January and had a great season even though some dried up on me. I like to save some trees as backup for later run.
    Last edited by valleyman; 01-01-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

Spent the last few days fixing my tubing runs. Finished up moving the evaporator under my new shed overhang. Excited to be out of the weather for boiling this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

After seeing the data from Dr. Joe Orefice from Yale today, seems mid February is still a good plan. Earlier runs may be lighter sugar.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

Last I checked, at 330 pm, both of my two 3/16 runs were a solid stream into my barrels. Still tastes sweeter then last year.

As of 7pm it's still 41 outside should be above freezing thru 1am where I am.

Hoping by Wednesday morning I will have enough to start a boil. Need 25 gal just to fill my evaporator. At least 100 gallons to make it worth finishing anything.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Hope it's later. Scrambling to pull all my equipment together. Got out 3 years ago valleyman but this year I got sucked in again just because I had so many down trees on the farm. Got to do something with all that wood, right? I too am a one person show.
    Last edited by CTfarm; 01-01-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    2024 55 3/16 gravity, 19 5/16 gravity, 40 buckets and bags, RO Bucket rb15 kit, 5ft Phaneuf drop flue evaporator, Mason AUF arch.
    2023 35 3/16 gravity, 30 5/16 gravity 53 buckets and bags, RO Bucket rb15 kit, 5ft Phaneuf drop flue evaporator.
    Mason AUF arch
    2022 35 3/16 gravity, 28 5/16 gravity, 50 buckets and bags, New RO Bucket rb15 kit.
    2021 11 on 5/16 gravity, 30 on 3/16 gravity, 69 on buckets and bags. All sugar maples. Mostly large old trees.

Hey CT,
    Welcome back! Sounds like you're a busy solo show with a 2x5, nice ! Yea, funny how sugarin' is like being in the mob...once you're in there's no getting out. And Im just a small time hobbyist with maple fevor. Can only imagine being bigtime.
    Last edited by valleyman; 01-01-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

I have a tapping decision to make (eastern CT). My wife and I will be travelling to Arizona from Feb 15-21. If I tap before that, I have to find somebody to collect sap for me (50+ drop lines into buckets--takes me 30+ minutes per day), or I wait until after Feb 21. Would I lose out on a lot of sap if I waited? Opinions welcome!
    2015: 17 taps, 2 gallons
    2016: 35 taps, 3.6 gallons
    2017: 60 taps, 2.7 gallons
    2018: 56 taps, 4.7 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyWelden View Post
    I have a tapping decision to make (eastern CT). My wife and I will be travelling to Arizona from Feb 15-21. If I tap before that, I have to find somebody to collect sap for me (50+ drop lines into buckets--takes me 30+ minutes per day), or I wait until after Feb 21. Would I lose out on a lot of sap if I waited? Opinions welcome!

While late January tapping has been a great success in recent years the days of old are not necessarily gone for good.

Don't worry about it until weather suitable for taping shows up in the long range forecast. It is entirely possible the first reasonable run may not happen until Feb 15 or later.

Don't cross the bridge or worry about crossing the bridge till the bridge is open.

Last year I put most of my taps in in late January in two sets in two different regions 30 miles apart . I put another 6 taps in in late February in a third location and those taps were the most productive of all my taps.

One (yes 1) of my Late February taps was overflowing a 5 (yes five) gallon bucket after just 24 hours. The others were close.

Early tapping is overrated with regards to productivity unless of course enough warm weather blows out the season early, But even in 2019, odds are fairly heavily (at least 80 %) in your favor that will not happen.

Cheers

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Early tapping works well for those producers using moderate/high vacuum and excellent spout/tubing sanitation practices. Taphole lifespan (the length of time the sap will flow) can run 3-4 months before productivity drops off substantially. Tapping well before the season begins is fine under these conditions. This strategy is employed mostly by those producers who have so many taps that they need to have a month or two to get all their taps in.

Early tapping is NOT indicated for those using gravity collection (bags, buckets, gravity tubing...note that 3/16" tubing on a slope is VACUUM tubing). Taphole longevity in this case is only 3-8 weeks (typically only 3-5 wks) unless the weather gets really warm during that time. Best to wait until just before the sap will run well for an extended period.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 01-23-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast