+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Roof Maples 2019

Last night's Super Bowl wasn't the game that I expected to be. I was expecting a lot more offence, not a punt fest. Although it was tough to watch through the first 3 quarters the Pats finally found the endzone and put some points on the board when it mattered the most. The Pats always keep you on the edge of your seat in the Super Bowl. They never come out and put the game away in the first half.

I'm planning to tap this coming weekend too. I wanted to get into the woods yesterday but had to fix my tractor Saturday and plow the snow that I couldn't earlier in the week yesterday. I had to move some wood up to my OWB too and by the time that I got done with that stuff it was too late.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I was planning to start tapping today but the cold temperature and 30 mph wind with higher gusts kept me out of the woods. I didn't waste the day though. I cleaned out the woodshed and placed and plumbed the permeate and sweet tanks. I also bought a sheet of insulation board and built a box around the vacuum that I use for the bubblemaster. After I got that done I reconnected the pipes to the bubblemaster and put the draw off valves back onto the evaporator. All I have to do in the sugar house is put the membrane back into the RO but I won't do that until I have sap.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Sounds like a productive day Russell. I spent it on Sunapee freezing my a$$ off hoping to catch a $15,000 fish :-). No luck today but will be back at it tomorrow.

Weather will be better this week!
    -Scott
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

I'm planning to give it hell tomorrow. The drill batteries are charged and ready to go. I don't know if I'll get all 725 done but I'm going to try. The wind isn't supposed to be as strong tomorrow and it's going to be a little warmer too.
    Russ

I got about half of my taps in today. I did the hardest sections first because it looks like we're going to get some snow this week. It was only in the upper twenties this afternoon and some of the trees in the sun were running.
    Russ

Great job!! No $15,000 fish but I did get one to the weigh station at least. I’m hoping to get 75-100 done on Tuesday morning before the snow.
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLikeSyrupNH View Post
    Great job!! No $15,000 fish but I did get one to the weigh station at least. I’m hoping to get 75-100 done on Tuesday morning before the snow.
    I hope that you had a place to get in out of the cold while you were waiting for the tip up flags to go up. Good luck getting your taps in.

It took awhile for my fingers to warm up after pushing frozen tubing onto the taps bare handed. I'm hoping that we don't get the showers that are in the forecast for next Saturday. I want to get my taps in and start the vacuum. I feel like I'm missing out on some sap but keep telling myself that it's still early.
    Russ

I finished tapping today and if Leader's count is correct and there is 100 taps in a bag I've put in 727 taps. I had to take four or five dead trees out of my system but thought that I only had 725 taps last year. Something's not adding up here.

I'm going to set up the releaser and make the repairs that I found are needed when I was tapping tomorrow. I'm also going to add taps to the trees that have now grown big enough to take another tap.

If the weather that we get is what the weather liars are saying we are going to get I should be able to turn on the vacuum Thursday to flush the lines. If so I will be able to start saving sap on Friday and sweeten the pans on Sunday or Monday. I'm hoping for Sunday, it's been a long time since I've been able to smell that sweet steam that rolls off of the evaporator.
    Russ

Hopefully you don’t have too many repairs to make. Sounds like you will be ready for sap if it warms up at the end of the week like they are talking about.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I had 22 bags from leader. Every single bag was one tap short
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast