+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Red Roof Maples 2019

I made 12 gallons of syrup last night to put my season total at 161 gallons which is only 30 shy of last years total. The sap didn't run as well as I had hoped yesterday and I'm hoping that it will run better today. I'm going to do my last boil tonight and call it a season. The sap didn't smell so good last night but made some good enough tasting syrup for Bascom's. It didn't have any off flavors or leave a bad aftertaste but wasn't up to Red Roof Maples standards. The color was almost Golden.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I did my last boil of the season last night and made 9 gallons to close out the season with 170 gallons. I'll finish the contents of the evaporator today and that should add another 5 to 8 gallons to the season total. I'll be within 20 gallons of last year's total which I'm happy with. The season was looking pretty bleak for a while there but sticking with it turned it into a good season.

I collected 9290 gallons of sap this year which is 3,370 less than the 12,660 gallons I collected last year. The higher SSC and the RO not passing sugar made a big difference. If we have a good season next year I should be able to break 200.

Now the worst part of the season begins. It's time to clean everything and put it away.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

I can;t believe you are were still going. I have been shut down for a week. hmmmm just good sap weather I guess good for you!!! I already have my taps pulled.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

I've had a busy weekend. I finished the evaporator yesterday which added another 5 gallons to the total. The official total for 2019 is 175 gallons. To put that into perspective I made 191.5 gallons in 2018 and 182 gallons in 2017 with the same number of taps. I'd have to dig out my maple notebook to see what I did in 2016 but it was in the upper 170's. I only used a little over 1.5 cords of wood this year to make my syrup. Most of that was on Maple weekend.

I made a lot of Dark this year and had none on the shelves so yesterday afternoon I jugged up 15 gallons to fill my shelves and to fill some orders. This afternoon I coded and labeled the syrup and stocked the shelves. The shelves are full now so I'm not going to have to jug up any for a while now.

I cleaned out the RO room so that I had some room to jug the syrup and stock the shelves. All of that stuff went into the evaporator room so now I've got a bigger mess in there. It will all get cleaned soon though.

I got all of my taps pulled this morning so the trees can start healing. I also started the second wash on the RO when I came in for the night.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314