+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Red Roof Maples 2019

I think my oberdorfer pump is going having issues so slow getting it through the press. even charging it was slow. seemed a little chattery too. I got the press used and this is my 6th year with it don't know how long these pump are good for. D.E. filter aid is very abrasive so I don't know how long the gears hold up.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Sounds like the pump is about at the end of it’s life.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

yep. I got a really good deal on this press still looks like new. Wes fab full press with only 1/2 bank of plates. long story but anyway good deal none the less from a guess up in VT that was selling off all his stuff. ordered 1 this morning probably won't be here until tuesday.

Russ looking through your posts... I would love to buy some extra light golden from you for candy. I would trade for dark but I don't make enough as it is to trade. I usually make only make little amber for candy and with value added items selling better and better I have been going through a lot more candy, cream etc.
    Last edited by red maples; 03-16-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

Brad I'll let you know when I make some Golden. I'd rather give you a deal on it than sell it to Bascom's.

I didn't think that the sap was going to run today but it finally did start around 2:00 and ran hard until it froze up at 6:30. I got over 200 gallons in that time.

I've been busy getting ready for Maple weekend. Yesterday afternoon I jugged up the syrup that I made last week and got my shelves looking pretty good. I made a batch of maple cream this morning and jarred it up tonight. I've still got to make two more batches and I'll make some maple butter if my wife doesn't have time to get it done. We're both running behind on getting things done because of the late start to the season.

I'm going to boil tomorrow night and then watch the forecast and start saving for Maple weekend. I'd like to boil again mid week but won't if it looks like I'll need the sap for Saturday.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I ended up with 145 gallons in a similar time frame. yeah you can get more if you sell it in bulk outside of bascom's.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

I ended up with 475 gallons from the last two days runs. I boiled again last night and made another 8 gallons of Amber to put me at 20 gallons for the season. The forecast doesn't look as good for the weekend. It's not supposed to be very warm Saturday, 32* for a high with a cold NW wind, and I was hoping for a good run to give me sap for Sunday. I'm saving everything that I get until the weekend now. I hope that all of the tanks are nutted so that I'll have enough to boil all day on both days of the weekend.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Yesterday was a beautiful day for my first day of vacation. All of the trees in my coldest woods were finally running yesterday for the first time that I know of this season. I went out leak checking and there were only three leaks to be found. One hollow tree and two taps that needed to be seated a little more now that the trees had thawed.

I don't know how much sap I got after that but I had only gotten about 75 gallons as of 3:30 yesterday afternoon. I'm hoping that the trees kicked into high gear and put some sap in the tank. I didn't have a chance to go down and check the level again before dark.
    Russ

The sap decided to run here finally. I pumped 325 gallons out of the tank this morning and another 325 tonight. I filled my sweet tank with sap for Sunday and already have 350 for Saturday. It's looking like I'm going to be making some syrup on Maple Weekend again this year.

My screen printer buddy Bernie who owns BC Screen Printing in Laconia informed me today that the yard sign and shirts that I ordered last Friday are ready. Bernie really came through for me on short notice. I'll be picking up my new schwag in the morning. I'll be sporting black hoodies and T's with my 2 color logo on them this year for Maple Weekend. I'll also have a nice professionally made sign that is easy to see and read at the end of my road so that people can find me.
    Russ

Have a great weekend!
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Sounds like you are a man with a plan Russ. Hope you have a great weekend and lots of visitors
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast