+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tapping 2019

Not surprised that those further south are getting too warm. Been marginal here.

Gathered 175 gal of sap yesterday and took the day off work today and boiled it down to 4.5 gallons of syrup (we got 4" of snow and nearly 3/4" of sleet today, so staying home seemed like a good idea). Might get one more decent run tomorrow, and then it isn't forecast to be below freezing til Monday night. Forecast says next week could be good, but even if it gets warm and stays warm, I'm not far off my totals for the past couple years.
    The Evolution
    2015 - 2x4 flat pan on block arch, 2016 added dividers for continuous flow
    2017 - 2x6 Sunrise Pan (4' Flue, 2' Syrup) on homemade arch with AUF, 2018 added AOF
    2019 - Sunrise water jacketed bottler

Yea , I might have pulled my taps a little early but it was really slowing down . Probably should have stuck with it another day or two but I was headed out of town and it was getting up into the 60's. No freezing weather in sight.

Live in the Shenandoah Valley but we tap in SW Virginia just do it for family fun. Finished tapping Monday got 1000 gallons today and with current run can probably pick up another 1000 overnight. Good thing warm weekend give us a chance to rest because looks like next week is going to be awesome. Sap very clear better go start scrounging fire wood.

Wow , you have done well!. I used to live in the Bristol area. That was before I got into tapping maples. Where bouts in SWVA?
    Quote Originally Posted by ffcuz View Post
    Live in the Shenandoah Valley but we tap in SW Virginia just do it for family fun. Finished tapping Monday got 1000 gallons today and with current run can probably pick up another 1000 overnight. Good thing warm weekend give us a chance to rest because looks like next week is going to be awesome. Sap very clear better go start scrounging fire wood.

Bland County my Mom is from there still have a good bit of family there and my grandparents place. We access to alot of sugar maples which lets us start later. If we were doing it at home would be way to late. Warm weather shut it down yesterday but more freezes coming should fir back up Monday or Tuesday. Sap crystal clear boiled off around 1800 gallons and haven't had to skim yet. Rained there last 48 hours though trees may sink in the mud.

Very cool! I have been to bland! Thats awesome. 60 here today and no flow. May get some later next week with temps in the mid 20's at night. If I can find some trees that aren't budded out yet , Im gonna tap them. Came up short on what I really wanted for sap this year. Has been a total downpour this week so I know what you mean.

Pulled taps 2 days ago. Never expected season to last this long! Made 25 gallons of syrup from 94 taps (would have been 2-3 gallons more, but sweet in pan got ropey once toward end of season). Had 1530 gallons of sap, so about 55:1 this year (first year that I really tracked it). Seems lower than other years, but it's my best year in total production, so that's a win.
    The Evolution
    2015 - 2x4 flat pan on block arch, 2016 added dividers for continuous flow
    2017 - 2x6 Sunrise Pan (4' Flue, 2' Syrup) on homemade arch with AUF, 2018 added AOF
    2019 - Sunrise water jacketed bottler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12