+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: South Central Ohio early taps in sap running

The sap is flowing in Athens county. Made 13 pints out of 92 gallons of sap so far. That is 52 trees tapped on 3/16. I am hoping to make more than 14 gallons this year. Last year I had 50 taps. I am hoping the sugar content is higher this year. Hope everyone has a grateful maple season!

The sap train is running here too. Mine are just picking up strong, but the tank already has about 30 gallon in it off 114 taps and I know it's going to pick up. I would cook a little today, but I decided to wash my pan and head tank. I had made a little early syrup and the pan set for 3 weeks so I felt like it should be taken down and washed. Now I don't want to start this late for a couple hours cooking. Tomorrow I ought to have a good long boil. I also hope sugar content is up.

Looks like your sap is right around 2% redbean
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 02-03-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Thansk for the info buckeye. Made another 9.5 pints from 65 gallons of sap. Already boiling down this morning.

I collected 15 gallons of sap from 28 taps between Sunday 4pm and Monday 7am. Hoping to do my first boil tomorrow!
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

Your doing good redbean, I had 73 gallons of sap this morning and I drew off 6 pints, but I started new with no sweet. I am done for the day but I have a bunch of sweet in the pan and sap is running well. So tomorrow I'll have more syrup.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

28 taps in on Saturday, 20 gallons of sap this morning. Woohoo! It's here baby.

173 taps out. Some are in poor trees, but a little bit is better than nothing. 185 gallons so far. The hillside is getting messy - gonna be a difficult season getting to it and getting it out. It is still fun! Good luck all
    2' x 6' / Kawasaki Mule 610/twin 35 gal. tanks
    Arctic Cat TRV 650/Trailer w/ 60 gal. tank & 5 gal. jugs
    In the foothills of Appalachia
    http://www.facebook.com/newmanmaple

I'm just north of Columbus and my taps have stopped. We're supposed to get 2" of rain over the next couple days with 60*F temperatures. I'll probably bring my buckets inside so they don't get dirty. And cross my fingers that my silver maples don't bud.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

he last two days have been pretty good runs. I boiled off 140 gallons yesterday and today. My sugar content is a little better than last year, but still not great at 1.5%. Tree almost quit today with this warm spell. We need a reset. I will have to drain my sweet and refrigerate.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

It's was a tsunami in more ways than one today. It rained like Biblical proportions. I have never seen so much water during sugar season. I think we have had 10-12 inches of rain in the last 10 days. I could not even get my truck and collection tank back up to my main line. I had to go to the hardware store and buy a roll of water line and run my mainline down to where I could get the truck, which is now parked in the creek bed crossing. If I was still doing buckets and bags I would just be sunk. I made huge ruts just getting my sap to the back of the shack where my inlet pipe and pump are. The trees also exploded with a sap tsunami. I only boiled 50 gallons, but tomorrow will be a big day. All lines are running hard. It's supposed to get down to 25 degrees tonight so maybe it will tighten up some. What a freaking mess. Wouldn't you know it does this the spring my tractor blows up. They are supposed to have it overhauled the first week of March.

The good news...lots of sap and my sugar is up. what I checked today was 1.6 -1.8. That is good for me. Tomorrow looks to be a long day. The next week looks like solid sap weather. I am really happy with my modifications to my evaporator. I think I got her set up pretty good right now. I been running about 15+ GPH in my little S.L. Hybrid. I tried to attach a video but it wouldn't upload...it may be too big a file.
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 02-12-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast