+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: surge alamo

Default surge alamo

Good morning...

I have finally made my decision and I went with an old surge alamo pump for my remote woods. Im not sure about the model. I think its a 40+ maybe even bigger. It had a 4.5 hp motor on it which I am swapping out for a 6.5 hp gas engine. It has a reclaimer with a double oilier going to each side of pump. It also has another tank on the side that I presume is the muffler. This is my first go around so Im not exactly sure what I am looking at. I have tried researching past post and looking up info but some of its hard to follow.

I just have a few questions.. What size pulley should I go with on the gas engine? The vacuum hooks to the top of the reclaimer, Correct? There is 3 ports and what looks like a bottom drain on the other tank (muffler) What do I do with those?

any inf would be greatly appreciated..

That Gasoline engine may be undersized if the 4.5hp electric motor was sized correctly. I think you would want to be closer to 9hp at a minimum. But you might be ok with oversized pulleys. Are you going to run a 2 belt setup?
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I was thinking that a two belt system would be best.

As said, if the 4.5 electric was right you need at least a 9 HP to run it. I ran a bigger Alamo on a 6.5 Honda but could only get 17" vacuum because even with the weight of the engine on it the 2 belts slipped and then burned the belts anytime it started to climb over 17". That had a 2.75" double pulley on the engine. When I had a 3" drive pulley it lugged the engine down. I suggest 9 HP or more and at least a 3.5" drive double pulley or regulate it down to 17" max with a 2.75".
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I think it also depends on if it has the stock pulley on the pump still. Correct me if I'm wrong but it should have a 9"?? Or was it 8" I can't remember
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

Mine is 10" on the pump on both my Alamo 30 and on my Alamo 75-100. Some members on here can tell you how many CFM you will get at specific RPM's. My engines do not run wide open but at about 3/4 throttle. Then I remove the stock gas tank and make a stand beside the pump where I mount a 4.5 gal tank for the 30 and 2 tank that size tied together for the 75-100.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

IMG_6037.jpgIMG_6037.jpgIMG_6038.jpgIMG_6039.jpgIMG_6040.jpgIMG_6041.jpg

This is the pump. Just looking for more info on it. Just trying to figure out where everything goes.

top part of your tank is oil reclaimer. bottom part is resivore with sight glass and temp gauge. pic 3 white pvc fitting the is cut off is vacuum to your woods or releaser. the tank in pic3 sometimes has a rubber ball in it that works as a moisture trap. I have a alamo 30/40 and yours looks twice as big as mine. (edit) I dont think a 6hp gas engine is big enough either
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

That looks the same size as my larger one, to get more than 17" you need a bigger engine and at least a 3" or 3.5" engine double pulley. Then put on a remote gas tank. I will be using 2@4.5 gal each. When I had a Alamo 30 on that woods I got 19". regulated because I was on a vacuum tank.
    The pump you show is called a 50-75-100, it all depends on the RPM, same pump.

Would an 8hp work?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast